Discus in Planted tanks

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Spots: I'd treat with garlic and Metro and see what foods you are using, Mysid shrimp are excellent, I prefer these over worms every day of the week, you can dope the live works with the meds and other things, like protein powders etc, milk.....all sorts of things. Tank is a bit small for discus, plan on a min of 55-90 Gal is better. 135-180 gal etc for a decent school. Even that is small in my view.

Aquaholic

Junior Poster
Jul 11, 2011
Ok thanks! I'll get some Mysid shrimp to use instead of the blood worms.

As for the Garlic...

Can you elaborate on the methods/procedure for medicating with Garlic in a 45gal tank? [i.e. dosage, frequency, garlic form (powder, diced, or liquid), duration, etc...]

Is it ok to use Garlic and Metro at the same time?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yes, I see no reason not to use the garlic, a bit of "hokey who knows.."....but taste good:) The Mysis are great though, live brine and any dry foods you get them to eat, dope the food with it.

Aquaholic

Junior Poster
Jul 11, 2011
Ok so I applied the second dose of Metro last night...

As of last night my 1.5inch Discus, with the most spots on it, looked a lot happier.:D
It was swimming around the tank more and even hungout at the top of the tank, as opposed to hiding under the driftwood and plants.

I picked up some Mysis shrimp from my LFS and tried feeding them but the only one that seemed to eat was my 2.5inch Discus. The others didnt bother.:confused:
I then turned off the lights and threw some more Mysis in the tank and hoped that they all ate without feeling shy.

Hopefully my guys make a full recovery. I'll keep you guys posted.

Aquaholic

Junior Poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hey I'm back, but unfortunately not with good news...
One of my 1.5inch Discus (the one who initially was eating well) didnt make it. The other 1.5inch Discus with many holes is still fighting. It is eating yet I dont think the Metro is working. I used it just as directed, taking out the carbon and all yet, after two treatments, I noticed hundreds of tiny worms wiggling around in my tanks water. I didnt know what to do, so I immediately took out my two, reamaining, Discus (1.5inch & 2.5inch) and put them in a hospital tank.
I had to reuse some of my tanks water, along with new water, in the hospital tank. Unfortunately, I didn't have a cycled hospital tank available.

What should I do?????

I feel like these two are going to kick the bucket as well.
I need to do something fast!

I plan to do very frequent water changes to help rid of the worms, but i feel like they will never go away.

Am I fighting a lost battle here? Is there hope to cure them of these parasites/worms?

Also, are my tank supplies contaminated with worms too? Can they survive outside of water for long?

Please help