This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

discus has white poop!!

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by a-hua, Feb 2, 2011.

1. a-hua

a-hua Subscriber

Local Time:
    9:50 PM
    hi all

my discus in planted tank recently become not eat or little, and has white poop..... i think it is a *Intestinal Flagellates* issue. i try to do wc more often and dose mgso4,but seems do not work. i had try *Metronidazole* before.....anyway they die finally.

what should i do and what is the better way to prevent and cure the issue in planted tank ?

tom, do this issue even happen to your discus? how do you do?

a-hua

#1 a-hua, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

So sorry to hear of your loss....

Did they stop eating suddenly or was there a gradual dropoff over say a week or two?

Were there any diet or environmental changes recently? New filter or substrate, water chemistry? New fish added?

It is very difficult to know what EXACTLY caused these deaths without a post mortem exam.

Did all of the fish die?

Sorry again...

3. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    3:50 PM
    White feces is from their parasites. Metro needs to be administered in a hospital tank. I keep a 10 gal for that reason. Also slowly increase the water temp to about 90f to stimulate their appetite and try to get then to eat. Change the water every day.

I have cured many discus this way thanks to gabe at jack whatleys.

4. a-hua

a-hua Subscriber

Local Time:
    hi Gerryd

i am not sure. i find they are less active for several weeks, and then notice white poop and eat less.

i add 2 new dry gran foods, update a bigger power head of filter for more current. always use tap water, the temps is 27c. add some wild guby 2-3 months ago.

a Dicrossus Filamentosus diy today...

a-hua

#4 a-hua, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  5. a-hua

a-hua Subscriber

Local Time:
    i am not good on dose Metro...i try 2 times, and fail 2 times....

in this tank, i originally have 5 discus and 1 wild heckel one. 1-2 months ago, the heckel become thiner and has white feces. i take it out to a 25L,29c hospital tank. dose 250mg metro, not wc. it diy on third day.

recently, the other 3 discus get less appetite too, i feel so helpless now ...

a-hua

6. Szkalak

Szkalak Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I second the increase in water temp to 90F in the hospital tank environment. I've also used this method, and in some cases, the temp increase by itself was all that was needed.

Regards,
    Justin Szkalak

7. a-hua

a-hua Subscriber

Local Time:
    i do not have another tank to be hospital one, so just increase temp to 30c plus wc 80% every day in the original tank . 3 days passed, the 3 *infected* discus seem to have some appetite, but only 1 really went to eat....

today, i raise to 32c and dose Metro 62.5 mg in the discus tank (50L....i know it is too small for discus...).i hope to see no one die tomorrow....

so thanks to you guys ~~~ and Biollante (so nice to pm me ~)

a-hua

#7 a-hua, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  8. a-hua

a-hua Subscriber

Local Time:
    hi all

3 days pass again, i continue to dose Metro about 62.5 mg ( i failed 2 times before , so just use 1/4 recommendation dose )in the original , 50L , 32c discus planted tank plus wc 80% everyday. things seem to go to the right way, 2 of the infected discus start to eat , one really swallow the food , but the other spit it quickly.

should i continue to dose the same and maintain 32c and wc ? when should i stop?

anyway, i got another question...... although i ask similar one before, but still do not get it.... http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6857-why-did-discus-become-more-and-more-thin-in-planted-tank?highlight=

is the medicine(included the hospital tank ) *needed* for discus in planted tank, even when everything is right (healthy /well grow plant, good current, good co2/o2, frequent / large wc, right temp, varied / balanecd food..... ) ?

is someone ever keep and breed discus in planted tank and *never* use any medicine??

i only have 2 years experience to keep discus in planted tank, and the main issue is the white poop and then not eat (maybe just a piece of cake for many expert).

i used to google Tom about *discus and Metro* (sorry....), and find one post that Tom said ....one of the issue to keep discus is you have to dose Metro often....but i can not find the post now (maybe i remember wrong, if so ...sorry again... ).

besides, still curious about do the white poop /not to eat issue happen to Tom's discus? if so, how do he fix ? if not, what is the big key point?? i just can not image Tom will dose medicine / raise the temp to 32c in original planted tank (alothough 32c is not issue if co2 and current are enough), or the hospital way.....

wish this time i do cure my discus....

a-hua

#8 a-hua, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
  9. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Good luck a-hua.
    Two of my goldies had white poop and it turned out that they had dropsy. I noticed them not "running" for food as they usually do and they were less active. I put them in a hospital tank , threated them with Maracyn+ and Epsom but, they died 5 days later.