Discus, Cardinals...eat Cherry Shrimp?

DaveSurfer

Prolific Poster
Mar 14, 2005
Just planning on setting up a tank with Discus and Cardinals. Would I have a problem with the Discus possibly eating the cherry shrimp?

Thanks!

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
I have discus and cherry red shrimp. I've seen the discus go after them. The shrimp usually have the upper hand though. I've seen a few shrimp get eaten.

I also have som eblue rams.....that's a totally differnet situation. The shrimp have very little chance when a ram is after them.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If you really want an algae-eating shrimp, maybe try a full-sized Amano (especially a big female) -- I think it would be big enough to not be eaten. When a friend of mine went to Discus & German Blue Rams, he bought about a dozen ghost shrimp and put them in the tank, thinking they would be a nice treat for the fish. Six of the smaller ones were eaten, but about half of them either were big enough or smart enough to avoid being eaten. Now, they are large enough that they roam around the tank stress-free. I was surprised at how nice full-grown ghost shrimp look, and they are excellent detritus eaters. They will swallow an entire blood worm, if given the chance!

H

Htomassini

Yes. They will. Hence no clean up crew in my tank.. I also have three clown loaches the biggest being almost a foot long and I do not have any snails either.

Henry tomassini
www.theplantedaquariumstore.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD