This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Discus and the planted tank

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Ian H, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

I am about to aquire a Jewell Trigon 350. The original plan was to turn this into a planted tank but I may have to modify my plans as the tank comes with 6 very large discus.

The lighting has been modified to T5's and should be adequate at 2w per gallon. My main concern is that discus need a higher temperature than most plants like.

I know that giant vallis will survive but what else. It's a super as new tank but I want lots of greenery in there as well as fish. Any help or advice as usual will be appreciated.

Ian

2. JadeButterfly

JadeButterfly Guru Class Expert

Re: Discus and the planted tank

Hey Ian.

I know most sword plants do well in higher temp. also plants like java fern/anubias will do fine..

3. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Ian, if you've entered into some Faustian deal and have to keep the Discus, fine, otherwise, I'd lose them in a heartbeat. It's like keeping a St Bernie or
    Newfoundland in your prize flower garden....up to you. :D

Bill

4. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

Thanks Jade. I was thinking swords as well.

Ian

5. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

Thanks Bill, the thought of getting rid has crossed my mind. Especially after the prices I've seen them sold at.:) I have to admit that there is a bit of a guilt thing attached.

6 six inch discus anyone?..................serious offers only. :cool:

Ian

6. Jeff Bodin

Jeff Bodin Junior Poster

I picked up several 1/2" discus at Christmas from Fairy Lake ($8.00 each and he threw one more in for free!) and put them in my planted tank. I upped the temp to 82o (although I want to bring it back down to 80) - they are doing fine, and so are the plants (with the exception of a little BGA that keeps coming back).

Plants that are doing well for me include:
    Hairgrass,
    Tiger lotus (started with one, now I have three)
    Telenthera,
    Wysteria
    Riccia,
    Rotala Indica
    And something someone gave me (but I don't know what it is, how do I post a picture to the forum?)

Plants that I've had trouble with (and I don't believe this was heat related, but related to the reason I got BGA to begin with):
    Rotala Macrandra (melted),
    Pearlgrass.

I had a couple of swords, but they take up too much room so I'm not their biggest fan and so I got rid of them.

Oh, and the discus are a good 4" now and goergeous (where is my damn dictionary :confused: ).

- Jeff

7. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

Thanks Jeff, the guy I am buying from runs his tank at 86. I could try 82 maybe?

Ian

8. Laith

Laith Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

:confused: Are you saying that discus will rip up/eat plants? Never heard of this. I have discus in a 200l heavily planted tank and have never seen them touch the plants :) .

9. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

What plants do you have Laith, and at what temperature? Please. :)

Ian

10. Laith

Laith Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I currently have Crypt. lutea & wendetti, E. bleheri, E. tenellus, Hygrophila difformis, Anubias barteri nana, E. foxtail, E. stellata, Sagittaria pusilla, Rotala rotundifolia, Hygrophila corymbosa Kompakt, Hygrophila corymbosa glabra, Limnophila sessiliflora and Alternanthera reineckii.

Tank temp varies between 27C and 28.5C.

I've had issues with some of the plants but due to deficiencies, not temperatures. And definitely not due to the three Discus.

11. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

Thanks Laith, that's a good range of plants but are the discus OK at that temperature?

Ian

12. chubasco

No, but they like to eat, and then, they like to excrete :) Basically, I have a
    problem with scale: for them to look small would require a much larger tank
    than a 100 gallon. I would find big colorful dinnerplates swimming around in
    my 'scape to be subtractive. Some of course, like them, just like some people
    like St Bernies, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, etc. Give me smaller, shoaling fish anytime. YMMV,

Bill

13. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Guru Class Expert

Is this another Amano influence gone awry? He made that comment about several tanks in the AGA competition - that the tank didn't look 'big'. I'm heading the other way and have lost interest in the little nervous fish, which is why I'm going to put three large goldfish in my 90 gallon. The bigger fish just have more 'character'. But to each his own... :D

TW

14. chubasco

No, it is only coincidental that he and I share the same when it comes to
    aesthetics :)

Well, the spell is woven then...

It's a given that you're a character, TW, so naturally your fish would reflect
    same :D

I like little nervous fish that school, boy, you rilly hurt my feelings....NOT. :D

Bill

15. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

As it happens the deal with the tank and big discus there are included 15 cardinal and 25 rummy nose tetras. So maybe it's the best of both worlds. :)

I just want some interesting plants in there as well.

Ian

16. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

... now if you call them "KOI" ... everyone will think its COOL!!!!

Our Eastern Iowa Aquarium Association auction is April 9th ... I'm taking two bags of Koi to the auction ...

I would like to swear they look like goldfish ... but the pond police might beat me up for that kind of politically incorrect description ...

Greg

P.S. I am going to have to miss the Americal Livebearers Association conference to work our auction.... :(

17. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Guru Class Expert

Better yet - SUSHI :eek:

I've had it with those little nervous trembly fish. I want something I can reach in and pet! :p

TW

18. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

How about piranhas Tom? :D

Ian

19. chubasco

Yeah, how about a discus and piranha tank? There's the best of both worlds :) 6-8" discus and 12" Natterreri should be compatible enough. Would
    probably need a bigger filter tho, for the bioload :eek: Make an excellent petting zoo for TW :rolleyes:

Bill

20. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

One of my favorite fish are Whimple piranha which would be extremely well suited to a planted tank.

Nice behavior, unusual shape and look good against the plants.

Regards,
    Tom Barr