This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Disappointed in Forum Response

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Noledoc, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    5:41 AM
    I had hoped that this forum would be responsive to questions and requests. At 1st this was true and very helpful. In the last several weeks not so much. I am disappointed, coming back everyday (with some posts) to find no response. If I shouldn't give up, please let me know. I'm new to forum learning and had given serious thought to subscribing to the TB report but it is easy to become discouraged. :gwAny guidance regarding expectations?
    Thanks
    Paul

2. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey Paul! Don't give up! Just keep hitting up your questions and research on the site is important. I don't know quite as much as most on here but will help with what I know.

3. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I find the BarrReport to be a perfect example of quality over quantity. Yes, it's not a fast paced forum nor has it alot of fast replying members, but the replies that are given are often of a very high level and well worth the wait. I often find one reaction of someone with expertise on this forum to be worth more than several others on other forums.

Also there's a TON of information to be found if you use the search function and read the newsletters.

Personally I find nothing wrong with the number and speed of replies on topics, might not be as fast as other forums but this gives me time to actually read threads and investigate the information that they give, reading a scientific paper can consume some time haha.

So, stick around Paul you wont be dissapointed.

4. nazrm

nazrm Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    As a fellow newbie to the forum I can only say that reading and searching old posts have been a tremendous help, and has answered 99% of my questions so far!

5. JJ..Bequiet

JJ..Bequiet Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Hang in there bud, the Calvary is comin'.

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Paul,

I reviewed your posts and they seem to be answered within a day or two.

What is YOUR expectation for a response?

Some of the reasons you may not get a reply as quickly as you would like:

1) The forum is not a big 'me too' or '+1' reply. If someone has answered your question we move on to the next...

2) I personally will not reply if I can't add anything of value to the discussion. Your thread on soil substrate fit this description. Most of us will not comment on a topic if we cannot help.

3) Forum members have interests and responsibilities outside of this forum. Tom and Greg are very responsive IMO. Others donate their time and expertise with no compensation simply a desire to help and share knowledge and experience.

Please note that there is a tremendous amount of information that this site and hobby can contain and require. We don't always get it the first time or two. I have reread MANY threads multiple times before the light bulb went off..

A PM or private message sometime will work..

What topics/threads have not been answered? Please provide a link. I am pretty sure I personally responded to your posts within a day or two.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Gerry.

#6 Gerryd, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  7. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    11:41 PM
    Paul, do yourself a favor, go to google and click the advanced search link and towards the bottom you will find a field that says "Search within a site or domain:" and type in www.barrreport.com.

now you can search through the whole site for your answers.
    Our site is filled with a lot of common issues and solutions over and over, but the default search box isnt as great as google's.

Also from what I can tell, you have started 2 threads, one about the pot scrubbers in which Tom went into great detail with advice and the other about the soil. I did an advanced search on our site with google with the phrase "soil substrate?" and it yielded 139 results. Im sure you should be able to gather info from it.

If you still do not find the answer you are looking for, then add a post to your thread stating so, and hopefully someone that knows the answer will log in and answer.

I have found answers to some very obscure issues by doing the google search. Could I have posted a new question, sure, but I felt that I wanted to see if someone else had answered it first, or had pictures of it, before I've posted a new thread.

8. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Oh man! That google trick would have saved me lots of hours spend skimming threads, trying to find some bits of information.
    Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Juan

9. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Paul I agree! I had no idea about that. I was using the search engine on our site looking for sump info and it was just taking me to all kinds of stuff LOL. Will note this in the future!

10. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    11:41 PM
    For me thats the only way to search.

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    We are just helping the blind to see:)
    I wish I could goggle where in tarnation I left my keys...........

I know how many are, they ask vs goggle, but.........we really should out a little effort into it. I get folks started.........but I am not nor care to hold the hand all the way through. If I do, maybe I'm feeling good that day, but never expect it from anyone. Folks are doing this of their own free will, no one is getting paid. I'm a bit like that myself, I would not post about it if no one responded, but I'd rephrase the question and get started on looking more in depth.
    I have no vendors, no ads, no steer manure. Likewise I'm not trying to build membership and post counts. Folks come here of their own free will for information and hopefully to learn. Social communities are a bit different. They are trying to market themselves and get membership higher and sell ad space etc. Facebook is all junked up, who the heck knows what the hell they do with your info etc.

They have a lot of mods and have to monitor things. They have horrible things like "rules", haha.
    We have very very few rules, likely 10-100X less than most, and all of them are plain common sense.

I think I've banned 3 people on this forum in over 6 years.
    Other plant forums ban that many weekly.

Makes life much easier.
    Sampbots have come and gone, but they are everywhere.

12. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Another thing that I like about this forum is that people generally don't get personal and chew up a lot of the thread throwing arguments back and forth. Most of the gurus on here (like me hahaha) have spent several years trying various experiments etc etc and have adopted the same attitude as Tom 'can do, can talk'. In other words, we like to speak from experience not from just what somebody else said. With that in mind, it usually only takes one guru (the first one to chime in) to answer the question; any other gurus reading will see that the question has been pretty much answered and usually won't have anything else to add.

13. JJ..Bequiet

JJ..Bequiet Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I think that is easy to see and understand after the first 45min of browsing this forum.
    I really like that new search tip, but sometimes its better to ask a question because things from 2008 might not be the most efficient way in 2011.

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yes, we all change and tweak things as we learn more. Still, 2008 might not be a bad starting point for the thread:
    "Are the views from this 2008 thread still relatively valid? I'm starting a soil based tank and would like to know more."

15. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Hey JJ, thanks for the encouragement!

16. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Hellen, thanks. I appreciate your perspective

17. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Gerry, you did in fact respond to a number of my posts and questions. Both you and Tom were enormously helpful. Points well taken about the other feedback as well. The last post of the substrate thread received no response in about 2 wks and in it I did ask several Qs. Since I'm putting the last pieces together of my "plans of a lifetime", making final decisions etc, I've been chomping at the bit too much. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I'll hang in there!
    Paul

18. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Htomassini, that is the finest online tool I've ever heard about. Thank you!! I know this site if full of serious information. I came here because seven years ago, on another site, I became amazed at the information and generosity of Tom Barr. I had a change in my life that took me away from the aquatic life I loved but I am returning. Thanks so much.

19. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Tom, you are truly an amazing man, touching many lives with only a few "tanks" to show for it. Please accept my humble "tanks" for all you do.
    Gud on ya!
    Paul

#19 Noledoc, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
  20. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Scottward, that is a different MO from faculty meetings in my department (psychiatry). Of course the human mind responds differently when the lights go on than do plants. Lol. ;-)