Digital PH tester recomendation

rcalzadilla

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2007
84
0
6
77
South Florida
I'm having a problem reading my PH level from those color charts.
Wondering if I should get PH digital tester.
Could you recommend one?
Do they really work? Are they accurate?
Are they a hassle to keep and how much is maintenance cost.
Would really appreciate info

tks

raul
 

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
5,623
20
38
South Florida
Raul,

They do work well.

I use a Milwaukee brand SMS 122 ph meter to drive my auto c02.

I have had it for over 3+ years and is still accurate. I replace the probe annually just in case and I calibrate every 2-3 months to ensure accuracy........... I would recommend this brand.

Do some web research on ph meters and you can see the variety, price, etc.

Here is a link to the meter I use:

Automated Aquarium Systems - SMS122 pH/CO2 Controller

Please note that prices on the web vary widely. Find the model you want, and then search for the best price.......

I have seem my meter from $80 - $150 usd...........

Best of luck
 

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
216
1
16
Pennsylvania
rcalzadilla;20640 said:
I'm having a problem reading my PH level from those color charts.
Wondering if I should get PH digital tester.
Could you recommend one?
Do they really work? Are they accurate?
Are they a hassle to keep and how much is maintenance cost.
Would really appreciate info

tks

raul



Raul,

Actually, I was just thinking of selling my pH and TDS meters, as I have "upgraded" to one that does pH, TDS, EC and temp (I'm lazy and I was not using my multiple meters ).

I have to double-check when I get home this evening, but I'm quite sure that the meter I have is the Oakton pHTester Basic, and my TDS meter is the Oakton TDSTestr. I don't see mine on their web site, so it might be the a previous model (say the model 10, rather than the current 11).

Both have worked quite well for me, and can recommend either.

And if you're interested in a very slightly used pH meter, shoot me a private message.

-Jason
 

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
375
0
16
Vista, Ca
You can easily make a ph tester with minimal cost. Here is all the info you need.

www dot 66pacific.com/ph/simplest_ph dot aspx

hope this helps and saves you $$
 

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
3,011
94
48
85
Sacramento, CA
ccLansman;23180 said:
You can easily make a ph tester with minimal cost. Here is all the info you need.

www dot 66pacific.com/ph/simplest_ph dot aspx

hope this helps and saves you $$

Does this work with any pH probe? It certainly looks like a cheap way to go.
 

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
375
0
16
Vista, Ca
VaughnH;23181 said:
Does this work with any pH probe? It certainly looks like a cheap way to go.

I believe so, i am acutually buidling the more complicated one listed on that site with the auto shutoff valve for a circuits class im taking :D
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
743
113
They make some cheaper pen types that do pretty well, if you want a nice pH probe type, the Hanna is good and you can run other probes with it as well(comes w Temp+pH but you can add any ISE or Redox etc).

Pinpoints have been used for many years in the hobby, decades I guess now....

Regards,
Tom Barr