This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Differences between ADA soils (Africana, Malaya, Amazonia)?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rusticitas, Dec 18, 2007.

1. rusticitas

rusticitas Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:19 PM
    Is there any difference, other than color, between the three different ADA soils (Africana, Malaya, Amazonia)?

If I have soft tap water (~50ppm TDS), would I be better off using the newer "II" soil(s) or the original ones?

-Jason

2. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Great question, I would like to know this also. Hope somebody answers.

3. rusticitas

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    In the "The Style of ADA 2006" on p. 134-135 the soils are talked about, but the English is a bit wonky, so it's hard to tell exactly what the differences are. There's a small chart showing pH buffering between Amazonia, Africana and Bright Sand (but not Malaya). On p. 135 it says "Three types of Aqua Siols have different character, any ou can choose the right one." Unfortunately there's no information on these pages to help one figure out which one to choose!

I'd really love to find out more about the differences. Surely some on here have used more than just Amazonia, no? (hint, hint, we'd love informative responses!) :)

-Jason

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    The amazonia seems to have the most nutrient and pH/softening impact.
    I cannot say just how much and I doubt anyone can.

These are relative terms.

So without really doing a sediment analysis, or knowing what is specifically added, it's hard to say, I might do some testing later.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. rusticitas

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Could one say, in general, then that there is no serious difference between the soils? That one could pick based on color choice? (I am purposely making a generalization here.) I would think that in a high-light, accelerated tank that the choice might make a difference in the long run.

Maybe I'll email ADG and ask about the differences between Amazonia and Amazonia II.

-Jason

6. travis

travis Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    From my understanding Amazonia II is almost identical to Amazonia but is designed not to cause as much initial water clouding when used in harder, more alkaline water (pH >7.3, not sure about KH). Apparently people were reporting heavy, long-lasting clouding when using Amazonia with hard water. I've used both in Denver's tap water (pH ~7.4, KH 5) and have not experienced any clouding lasting more than a day on initial setup.

I've also used both Malaya and Africana and can say (although not empirically) that they have very similar characteristics to Amazonia. I do really like the color of the Africana, but that's neither here nor there.

7. rusticitas

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    travis,

Thank you very much for your input. I was beginning to wonder as I nearly always hear people talking about Amazonia, preferring the darker color, I was also starting to wonder if there was something else to it that was radically different from the Malaya and Africana. If I had the space and money, I'd just get a bag of each and set up three adjacent tanks and plant with the same plants and see what differences, if any, I noticed.

-jason

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I tried ADA amazonia normal in rock hard Davis water, KH of 13, Gh of 16, heck............water was clear as a bell.

I think that notion is baloney about hard water, both GH/KH.
    If that was the cause, where was it?
    I obviously had hard water, have not one, but 8 small tanks all with ADA as.

One client that mucked around in his huge tank caused a clouding issue with it.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

9. rusticitas

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tom, thanks for the comments. I guess it's pretty much up to color preference, as far as "everyday" practical use goes. Funds permitting, I was thinking of getting a small bag of each and trying in a couple of 2.5 or 5.5 All-Glass tanks I have around and seeing what I liked looking at and how things grew low-light in them. Can't hurt, I guess! :)

-Jason