This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Dicrossus Filamentosa AKA. Chicken Hawks !

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by Professor Myers, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

Well I finally got a few more Filamentosas. They only had 6 left, but they all shipped well, and came right out of the box Cocky as all Hell ! :p

I've always believed they were the perfect Dwarf Cichlid for planted tanks due to their size, and elaborate features. They're too small to be a threat to anyone, but once acclimated with lots of hidey holes they strut around like Cassius Clay. :D

I've had good luck breeding these in the past, so hopefully I may be able to offer some up ? we'll see... Like bumble bee shrimp they have a way of poking their heads out at the most comical or opportune moment. The punchline is everything !!!` :cool: I had a breeding pair of these torment every bully in the tank till I finally gave them their own breeding tank before someone ran out of patience...;)

FTR. they came from Ken Davis at FishFarmUSA, and for their diminutive proportions They're Very Robust little suckers !!!

2. Sintei

Sintei Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Do you keep any shrimps with them? And you say they tormented other fish? What kind of fish?

3. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

Shrimp ? Absolutely !!!

At Least 80 in there with them. Try to understand A Cardinal Tetra could Whup Em in a fair fight. They only "Think" they're John Holmes. :p

My last breeders were harrassing Adult Discus, and Festivums. When they started going head to head with the Festivums they were moved for their own saftey, and breeding purposes. Those Festivums were particularly aggressive, and had already hammered some Convict Cichlids. Like I said "Chicken Hawks" ! ;) As small as they are they are 100% attitude. I just admire their Tenacity, and they look good doing it ! :cool: A cichlid is a Cichlid...If It fits in their mouth it's food ! and once they start breeding interpersonal skills fly right out the window... :eek: LOL. They're feisty little buggers, they're just too small to be any real threat to anyone but themselves. This makes them a shoe in for most planted communities. Prof M

4. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I have some young looking dicrossus right now. No idea what species as the LFs just called them "checkerboard" cichlids. I agree, they're puny little things. Except mine seem to know it to boot. XD

Well, my other fsh are about the same size so no big deals I guess.