This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diatom algae

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by marielou20, Jun 19, 2008.

1. marielou20

marielou20 Junior Poster

I have a problem of algae in my tank , i heard it would be diatoms (not sure of the spelling) it look like brown algae that goes on my leaves of my plants and everywhere else in my tank , I can take it off easily ....

could someone tell me what would be the best treatment for that, I tried Protalon and erythromycin, but nothing seems to work.

right now, I'm trying to treat with HADASNAIL to get rid of them....

I need some advices please....:(

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi,

Yes they are diatoms...........

Here is a link to common algae and treatments.........

Aquarium Algae ID (updated)

These are usually present in newly setup tanks, or where the bacterial bed has been disturbed, say a substrate replacement.

Is your tank still cycling?

Please also provide some details around filtration, lighting, substrate, etc.

Are you using c02 at all? do you want to?

I know you have a 220.

Here also is a link that speaks to using dry fertilizers as Vaughn mentioned in your other post. Method is called EI..

http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/3205-fertilizer-routines-one.html

Hope this helps.

3. dinesh

dinesh Junior Poster

Hi,
    Gerryd thanks for the link i also had same problem.

Regards,
    Dinesh