This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Diatom Algae How To Control ?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by raptor22, Nov 26, 2019.

1. raptor22

raptor22 New Member

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    how do I control this diatom alga in my 63 gal tank?

20191125_183756.jpg

20191125_183759.jpg

20191125_183816.jpg

2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    11:21 PM
    It looks like you got more going on there than diatoms. I also see some red algae , similar to BBA on the rocks.

With diatoms you have several approaches available to you. One is to move the system towards higher water available nutrients that favour plant, green algae and bacteria growth. In time these will displace a large part of the diatoms . Add diatom eating creatures like snails, shrimps otos. Move to a soft acidic water system. Like with many algae when your system is growing healthy plants the algae tend to go away.
    Such BBA growth on rocks is usually a sign of poor filtration or maintenance of the substrate /tank.

3. raptor22

raptor22 New Member

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    this is under Red light.

4. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    11:21 PM
    yes, the heavy red balance is visible on the gravel. By red algae I am refering to the black algae growth you see on some decorations and gravel. They belong to Rhodophyta, hence the common name red algae.