Diagnose my deficiency

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Lately I've noticed that the edges of my hygrophila leaves (new growth) are sort of withering up a little, it almost looks like something was eating the edges but I know this is not the case. Is this an easily diagnosable deficiency of some type? I recently added some aluminum foil reflectors :D and I think the plants are going through a bit more nutrients than they were before. I don't do weekly or large water changes since it messes with the stability of my water parameters too much, so I don't want to go nuts adding fertilizers that may already be built up in the water.

I should add that I don't think it's co2 (I've had co2 problems before, but never these symptoms) and I can't see it being magnesium or calcium since I add both at every water change to maintain my GH.

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
If your assumptions regarding CO2 are correct then generally, whenever necrosis appears on new leaves first, such as dead leaf tips and withered edges, then typically, non−mobile elements are suspect since the plant has difficulty redistributing these from mature leaves. You may want to look at your trace elements, in particular copper and zinc. Increased nitrogen uptake is said to exacerbate a copper deficiency.

Cheers,

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks, that may well be the case, I've been pretty lean on my Plantex lately. I'll bump that up and see what happens. How long should it take to see changes if that is the problem? I just double checked my dosing, and I really haven't been adding as much as I should have been.

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Any changes I make to dosing is an automatic three week wait for results. This avoids optical illusions.:cool:

Cheers,

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Yes, it's interesting how much evidence you can find for something, when you start looking for it.