This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DI filter, buffers, and fish health

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by rpmsongs, Jan 9, 2011.

1. rpmsongs

rpmsongs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:54 PM
    I've recently purchased an api "DI" filter and have a few questions.

My tap water: 0-1 kh, 0-1 gh, 7.8+ ph
    Tap after 24 hours: 0-1kh, 0-1 gh, 6.8 ph.

When I use the DI filter the ph comes out at 6.8 and stays there.

Now where my question lies is, If I use seachem's alkaline buffer and equilibrium to raise kh and gh of my DI water to around 3 dKh/dGh should I use anything else to help with fish health?

**Medium planted tank, angel fish, corys, silvertip tetras, snails, medium light(2.6 wpg x 8 hours cfl, no co2.

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Why?

Hi,

If you are going to use de-ionized (DI) water for the critters listed, assuming the plants are compatible, growing and everyone is happy:

Straight answer::D

• I recommend raising the general hardness to 5-7-dGH
    • Carbonate hardness to 6-KH.
      • Aerate, stirring, mixing, or air stone.

Confounding answer: :rolleyes:

• I do not see what you gain by using DI water.
      • Why not simply raise the carbonate and general hardness of your tap water?

Biollante

3. rpmsongs

rpmsongs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Well, hopefully it'll remove some of the fluoride, chlorine, and ammonia, and whatever is buffering the tap water at such a high ph. It was an impulse buy. come to find out it's about the biggest waste of time, It's only rated to produce upto 150 gallons of di water. I'm gonna do RO in the future.

4. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Water Report?

Hi,

Do you know what is in your tap water? Most places, in the US anyway, you can get water reports online. Would you share that with us?:)

Is the pH drop in your tap within 24 of sitting in an open container :eek: or after adding to your aquarium? :)

Biollante

5. rpmsongs

rpmsongs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    before adding. I will share! It can be viewed here

6. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    KH... GH... pH... The Bermuda Triangle of The Planted Tank

Hi,

Your tap water seems fine. :)

If you live in an older area or in an older home in North Fulton County and the water has not been used for several hours, you should run the tap for at least 2 minutes prior to aquarium use (or pets or I would think, you and/or family:rolleyes:).

Your water situation is simply normal for the Piedmont of Georgia, according to a high friend of mine in a low place^* (Cecil Wood Center Water Treatment Plant).

According to the aforementioned “high” friend the pH variation is a result of temperature and pressure differences in weakly buffered water. :confused:

I refer you back to my “confounding answer” in post #2, above. :cool:

Biollante
    ^* It is ever my policy to have low friends in high places and high friends in low places.

7. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Upon Further Review...

Hi,

A couple more questions if you do not mind (well even if you do mind). :eek:

Are you using a pH meter?

DI water should be pH 7.0

Have you measured the temperature out of the tap versus the water that has been sitting for 24 hours? Do you know your house water pressure?

Upon further review a reevaluation of advice in post #2. :rolleyes:

The Alkaline buffer to raise the KH is just fine, though baking soda would accomplish the same thing.

Add whatever de-chlorinator you wish or run your tap water through a carbon filter, the ones used for ice makers on refrigerators are wonderful, or let the water stand uncovered or better yet aerated for 24-hours.

If you must use Seachem’s Equilibrium (a fine product, mind you) I would add it at the rate of 4 grams per 10-gallons (38 liters) along with 2 grams of CaSO4.2H2O (Plaster of Paris) OR in my opinion better yet 2 grams of CaCl2.2H2O OR 3 grams CaCl2.6H2O.

Once you run out of Seachem’s Equilibrium use 3 grams of CaSO4.2H2O, 1 gram Epsom salt (MgSO4.7H2O) and 1 gram K2SO4 per 10-gallons (38 liters). :cool:

Add CSM+B at .5 grams per 10-gallons (38 liters). :D

Biollante

8. rpmsongs

rpmsongs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I do know the pressure, It's around 6 bar which should be around 78psi. I'm not using a meter yet. I'm using an api test kit.
    I was wondering about what people think as far as filters go. At my job we sell filters, right now we have a few extra Everpure Mh2 filters. I know they're great at reducing tds, minerals, and turbidity, but I don't know where that compares to the kind of water one would want to start with for an aquarium. I do use that water in my office aquarium but, it doesn't have a lot of plant mass or demanding plants. It also sits next to a window and has 0 algae. Ever read anything about the Everpure cartridges? Thanks for the conversation biollante!

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Tap is fine, sell it to some other sucker.

If you want to remove those things, use activated carbon only, cheaper and longer flow through times.
    Or just use something like seachem prime or dechlorinator, chloramine remover.
    Also helps make the tap taste great, do not worry or concern yourself with the pH.

Focus on GH and KH instead.

Carbon does not remove these, DI does, you need to add GH, KH you can likely just leave alone.
    We have similar tap water here.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I think you'd be MUCH better off selling Activated Carbon(AC) filters in your area.
    Then do replacement service calls and suggets whole house systems for clients.

The AC can be reheated and recycled a few times also, or used for excellent soil amendments.
    Plenty of use/recycling and it removes the taste and odor, and chlorine and chloramine.
    Simple, straight forward stuff. No water quack pot sales pitches.

Honest products for a honest price and that are greener.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

11. rpmsongs

rpmsongs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Awesome, Thanks Tom! I'm going to bring one of these MH2 filters home. The water does taste great through it. And it has a really high g/h. We use them on espresso machines.

12. vers0016

vers0016 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    About CO2 in tap water and question

I ran across this thread while trying to find out what impact on GH / KH does carbon filtration have? Specifically does it reduce either? As for this thread, I read that water out of tap is 6.8 or something rising to 7.8 by just sitting.

My water does the same and Ive learned that it is dissolved CO2 (very common in drilled wells like mine) As the water sits the CO2 is exchanged for O2 and the pH rises to its stable value. Using an airstone will speed this process up rapidly.

Before I add new water to my tank I run an airstone in it for an hour and its back up to where it should be. BTW I have an African Cichlid tank and so high pH is what Im looking for.

13. vers0016

vers0016 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    My tap water: 0-1 kh, 0-1 gh, 7.8+ ph
    Tap after 24 hours: 0-1kh, 0-1 gh, 6.8 ph.

Sorry I read that wrong...Its the opposite of my water...Guess my info isnt applicable