Desigtn schwematic for a ref pH and Kh method for CO2 determination:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
View attachment 205

Here's a simple generalized design for a pH probe and reference KH solution to measure CO2 accurately in an aqurium with tannins, ADA soil, or weird tap water with non bicarbonate alkalinity.

The larger the tank -ref solution interface/surface area, the faster and better the response times will be.

Interference with the CO2 mist rising into the catch part of the air gap can produce false positives, but never false negatives.

This means you will read more CO2 than is truly in solution, rather than the reverse!

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
311
1
16
Nada ???

Click-ed File. I see words without illustration ? Wonder if my word program is shhcrewwy ? :( No Joy...
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
PHP:
C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.MSO\WordWebPagePreview\5819B506.mht
 

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
108
0
16
San Diego, Ca
Tom,
I've got a modification to your schematic that may appeal to those who want less to show up in their tanks. Specifically, make this to hang over the edge of the tank like a HOB filter or overflow. Something like this (CD-790065 at DrsFosterSmith.com) should give an idea of what I'm talking about.

The reference solution and probe can be outside the tank, while only a little would reach inside.
 

David Hui

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2005
33
0
6
Tom,

Where is the water sample measure? I don't get it.

Thanks

David
 

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
3,011
94
48
85
Sacramento, CA
turbomkt;11149 said:
Tom,
I've got a modification to your schematic that may appeal to those who want less to show up in their tanks. Specifically, make this to hang over the edge of the tank like a HOB filter or overflow. Something like this (CD-790065 at DrsFosterSmith.com) should give an idea of what I'm talking about.

The reference solution and probe can be outside the tank, while only a little would reach inside.

No, you don't want the reference solution and probe outside the tank. Unless the reference solution is at the same temperature as the tank water at all times there will be distillation going on, with water moving from the warmer water to the colder water. That would alter the KH of the reference solution. Much better to just minimize the size of the unit in the water.
 

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
3,011
94
48
85
Sacramento, CA
Tom, it is likely to take more than a grommet to adequately seal the point where the probe enters the drop checker. That connection has to be air tight, or the device doesn't work. Something more like the sealing nuts used for wires going into a sealed device would be best. And, given the relatively short life of the probes, you can't just use silicone sealant to seal it. I think the best design would be made from two sizes of acrylic pipe - the inner one about twice the diameter of the probe, the outer one about twice the diameter of the inner one, and the inner one with a bottom piece that extends to attach the two together. At the top would be a solid piece of acrylic with a liquid tight pass thru fitting from Heyco, Handles, Thumb Screws Captive Panel Screws, Stand offs, Handles, Connector Hardware, Lyn-Tron, Inc. - Spacers, Thumb Screws, Captive Panel Screws, Standoffs, Handles, Connector Hardware - Bolt Products Inc., Fasteners, Cable Ties, Distributor Standar, which fits the probe diameter.

CO2Device.jpg
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
Vaughn,

I have 500 grommets that are rated at 30 psi sittng here, they are very air tight!:D

I used them on the CO2 reactors I use to make.

They fit the probe nicely.
I'll make on and show folks how to with some pics.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
3,011
94
48
85
Sacramento, CA
That should be a very interesting DIY project. I personally prefer the colored water approach, but for those with color vision problems or a desire for more precise numbers this would be ideal. I'm assuming the grommets are a donut with a slit around the outside to grip the "sheet metal" they go thru, and an undersized hole in the middle to grip the probe? That would be much cheaper and simpler than the Heyco devices, so it sounds great. You can make 500 of these devices now and make a million bucks on ebay!
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
The Viewtainers have a good rubber seal that's good enough for the reactors, and they cheap, 1.99$ easily melted and formed with a lighter etc, a suspended cap is all that needs to be added.

They(Viewtainer) also make smaller ones so you can add one inside the other etc.

No need for a grommet, but if you wanted to make a nice heavy duty pH measurement checker out of Acrylic, which is a material I most often tend to think with, I would have a use for them thar grommets:)

I might make a nice acrylic version for a client etc.
I'll also need to make them 5 liters of Reference solution also:)


Regards,
Tom Barr
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
Doh!

a simple U shape and a PCV or acrylic tubing bent in a U shape with a cap on one end.


IIIIII
III III
III III

The capped end would have the ref solution, the other open to the tank.

You'd just leave an air gap on the top of the U.
You do not need to see the solution other than to make sure it's there etc and add a pH probe to this.

They already make pH in line probe assemblies.

A 1" PCV elbow(the one's with the flat end, not curved) and a grommet would likely work well.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
108
0
16
San Diego, Ca
VaughnH;11154 said:
No, you don't want the reference solution and probe outside the tank. Unless the reference solution is at the same temperature as the tank water at all times there will be distillation going on, with water moving from the warmer water to the colder water. That would alter the KH of the reference solution. Much better to just minimize the size of the unit in the water.

Makes sense. Thanks!
 

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
3,011
94
48
85
Sacramento, CA
Tom Barr;11179 said:
Doh!

a simple U shape and a PCV or acrylic tubing bent in a U shape with a cap on one end.


IIIIII
III III
III III

The capped end would have the ref solution, the other open to the tank.

You'd just leave an air gap on the top of the U.
You do not need to see the solution other than to make sure it's there etc and add a pH probe to this.

They already make pH in line probe assemblies.

A 1" PCV elbow(the one's with the flat end, not curved) and a grommet would likely work well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

A PVC tee and a PVC elbow, joined at the side outlet of the tee would also work, with a cap on the bottom outlet of the tee, and the probe entering the top outlet of the tee. The elbow would point down into the water to establish the air gap. About $1 worth of fittings. Getting the probe sealed where it enters the tee would be the only mildly hard part.
 

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
3,011
94
48
85
Sacramento, CA
The way I would modify that DIY controller is to nod my head knowingly, then do a google search for a cheap pH monitor. I know a bit about electronics, but not enough to tackle that. The way I have modified meters before is to add another scale to them that reads the correct values, but that only works with analog meters.
 

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
3,011
94
48
85
Sacramento, CA
Tom Barr;11166 said:
Vaughn,

I have 500 grommets that are rated at 30 psi sittng here, they are very air tight!:D

I used them on the CO2 reactors I use to make.

They fit the probe nicely.
I'll make on and show folks how to with some pics.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Have you had a chance to prototype this yet? This could be the ultimate CO2 checker. You need to keep the pH probe wet all of the time anyway, so this could act as storage device for the probe too - just remove it from the tank water and leave it in a small cup of other water. This will also cure acne, hives, and lumbago, and accurately forecast the weather! Really. (Maybe I need to reduce my meds?)