This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dennerle Aquarium

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Radek, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Radek

Radek Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:48 PM
    Hi ,

I started a tank almoust 2 months ago , and i have some problems with my plants , not all just some .

For example I have Didiplis Diandra wich has some dificulties growing in my tank , his lower part is getting black and eventualy the healthy top of the plant strips off the root .

I describe a little bit my aquarium :

360 L
    5X54W T5 Dennerle
    Dennerle Fertilisation
    Macro from PPS-Clasic

Water Tests :

NO3 ~10
    PO4 ~1
    Fe ~0.2
    KH~4
    GH~5
    PH ~6.6

I don't have any algae isues , the only thing that boders me is this Didiplis .

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Blood Stargrass A Water hedge By Any Other Name...

Hi,

What temperature is your tank?

Didiplis diandra, seems to prefer cooler tanks, grows well for me in cooler tanks. It survives to about 78 F (25.6 C). But seems to grow best in the 72-74 F (22.2-23.3) range. ;)

Seems to like longer photo-periods, I really haven't experimented much, but my guess is would do well at 14-16 hour photo period. I do not know for sure but my guess is that it is not a tropical. I have only kept it as a tropical so I really do not know if I have found its true or full potential.:eek:

Biollante

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    D. diandra is a good CO2 indicator plant.
    It always does poor if the CO2 is not done well.

You have high light and lower nutrients, it likes good ADA AS sediment and richer NO3.
    Grows like a true weed for me.

Stays greener at the border line lower light(20-30micromols), gets nice a red at higher levels, say 70micromols.

Very easy plant otherwise.
    The 5x54 watt bulbs on a 360 liter tank is a great deal of light, I use 4x54w on a 460liter tank without any issues and raise the lights up 20-25cm to reduce the intensity on a tank that is 62 cm deep.
    Try raising the light or using 3 bulbs instead, everything should be much easier to manage.
    I'd do that and then adjust the CO2 a bit and add a bit more PO4/NO3.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I had similar problems with various species of plants in my tank, i.e. the lower section would turn black, the plant would then break apart...

I halved the amount of light I had over the top of my tank and improved my CO2 distribution - plants then took off!

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

My 2 cents:

1. I agree with Tom (often actually) that it does like good c02 and suffers when the c02 is inadequate. My own experiences show poor growth with poor c02.

2. I have found it grows in low and high light (as long as c02 is good).

3. I have grown it in temps of 84F, but have heard like Bio they prefer cooler water. They are local to much of North America.

I would look to your c02 and flow patterns....

If all other plants are doing well, I suspect c02 as well. Extra dosing will not hurt either.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Likewise, the tanks where I have it , are 28-30C.
    Hardly cool.

Cooler tanks work for many of the same reasons a lower light, or a more CO2 enriched tank does..........

Metabolism rates are slower with cooler temps.
    So less demand.

More CO2/O2 in solution, so adding CO2 is easier, and less chance of gassing fidsh, since there's more O2 in cooler water.
    Going from say 31C down to 21C is a dramatic effect.

See Q10 in Biology for more on temp effects on metabolism rates.
    It's a very easy plant to grow when good nutrients/CO2 and lower light are used.

Regards,
    Tom Barr