Deep Tank.. Need Guidance.

Neil

Oct 15, 2018
India
Hello,

Recently i turned my Cichlid tank into a planted one..!
And now its becoming a painful experience.. due to Lights.

the tank is 48x18x30 (Length x Depth x Height in Inches), so its clearly a tall tank ..! substrate thickness ~3 Inches avg. (1-1.5 Front & 4+ Backside) and light sits 4-5 Inches Above water surface.
I tried Most of the Chinese Lights like SunSun, Nicrew .... it was a waste of money..!
Even cant go for Finnex, Fluval or Twinstar as their PAR data is given ... less than 40 PAR at 24 Inch depth ... at 30 Inch depth its better not to question question..!

I was checking out few commercial/industrial lights .... and one of them are giving around 10000 Lumen at 4000K while other at 10000 Lumen at 6500K (Philips LED with Signify LED Chip in it). I'm planning to get those 2 lights as their SPD chart shown has good ratio of the Reds and Blues spectrum.

how will it affect the plant physiology without Monochromatic Red & Blue spectrum?
Will it be capable enough to bring the pigmentation of plants like Rotala macarandra, AR Rosanarvig & Ludwigia Senegalensis at its best (considering the other parameters like CO2,Fertz and Filters are doing their job well)?

4000K.jpg

6500K.jpg

fftfk

Apr 24, 2018
US
I don’t know enough about planted tanks but had very good luck with Kessil’s on a reef tank that deep. They have an option for narrow focus lenses.

I am planning on using their planted tank on my planted tank but it will only be 22 deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
GHL Mitras might be an option as well. LX7006/7004 models are on sale until the 28th with free shipping. They should have the power to punch down that deep as the 4 puck model is 135W and the 6 puck is ~200W at full power but it’s be worth contacting them to confirm. 4 puck would be roughly the cost of a Kessil 360X, WiFi is built in, and they’ll dim all the way down for moonlight. The lack of full dimming for moonlight was the deciding factor for me.

If you’re going with Kessils you might need more of them to cut down on the obvious cones of light you’ll probably see if you use the narrow lens option. But otherwise the Kessils should punch down that far and few options will give that kind of caustic lighting.

-
S

Aku sakana

Mar 26, 2019
Austin
Buy 2 beamswork and go low tech . If co2 plants are your thing you got the wrong tank. The $ you will save on lights for 30" tank, you could buy a 40 breeder and fluval 3.0 .

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Miller

Sep 18, 2018
Houston, TX
I converted my 200-gallon reef to planted and I am using my ATI 6 bulb with plant lights from Geisman. My plants are growing great with a few breaking the surface after only a few months. I'll post some pics from my phone later. Oh and my tank is 24 inches deep.

DON OKANE

Oct 2, 2019
colorado
I am sorry for busting the thread but can someone tell me how to post I am a new member and this seems very non intuitive do I need a secret batcode or something:)