This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Deep Aquarium Scaping

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Terrance James, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Terrance James

Terrance James New Member

Local Time:
    9:29 AM
    I’ve never had a particularly deep aquarium but due to a unique set of circumstances I’m getting a 45 g which is ~24” deep. I know lighting will be key so advice on this and on scaping in terms of plant selection and placement would be helpful. It’s coming with a weak LED so I’ve been scouring Amazon for lighting for a 36” tank. I have a bundle of plants coming any day. Plan to use Fluval Stratum, some pool filter sand and media from existing tanks and some that are coming with the tank as I can’t justify the ADA system to my wife who is tolerating my return to the hobby so far. Was going to use Thrive root tabs and the Flourish and Flourish Iron I have on hand initially but one to suggestion from y’all about ferts. CO2 will not be right away but is in the plan long term.

E3ACBDFD-81BA-4DC4-93A9-2EE46DEEC581.jpeg

2. Raven2020

Raven2020 New Member

Local Time:
    10:29 AM
    As someone with a deep (26" deep) high tech tank, my only advice is front loading your investment on a really good light. This is a painful and costly experience for me. Over the years I tried to make things work with many well-known branches, even stable like USA satellite, Fluval Planted+ or Finnex, Beamwork ...etc... and even go double on them. The reason is the next level to take it to is the Kestrel's range area. And it never gave me the grow I want. Granted, by average standard you can still get what some may consider good growth, but I find it's hard to condition the plants to the shape you want, since most will try to grow tall instead of wide into a more bushy form.

I finally bite the bullets a while back. It wasn't quite Kestrel, but still some powerful 360W LED set up that's rated for reef (with modified channel for Freshwater). And the difference is like between a CO2 and a non CO2 tank. In the end, I probably would have saved myself more money and a few years of frustration if I just go with the nuclear option at the beginning instead of trying the weaker light in hope that they would work.

Terrance James likes this.
  3. Terrance James

Terrance James New Member

Local Time:
    9:29 AM
    I’ve invested in a Finnex grow 24/7 plus the led the tank came with and eventually I’ll get another to replace one or both. I looked at the Kestrel but wasn’t sure how I’d go about mounting it or justifying it to my wife. My money is going towards a CO2 setup at this point- I have a homebrew setup I’m converting to aquaria. I’ve got my parts list and will start getting my parts after my next paycheck.

FF093299-2BAF-4067-9865-BEC542364479.jpeg

90D30E6E-C0E1-451B-8C06-70EEFD162A0B.jpeg

D0793AF7-71CB-4D0A-8EF8-5FEECFA8AC13.jpeg

BF4C9289-3D5B-4751-85E8-FE8FD30A2B9B.jpeg