deep aquarium, problem?

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
hi !
i have one question, my friend in croatia have a problem with plant grow..
she have juwel vision 260, fertilization based on ei method, co2 pursued with co2 bottle, dc is yellow, so there is no problem with this, i think so..
problem is, plants are growing very very slow, aquarium is deep 65 cm, light is 2x54 t5...., there is no algae at all..
What's the problem, does it depth of aquarium?
sorry for gramatics issues :D
dario!

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Not All That Deep

Hi Dario,

65-cm deep should not be a problem.

I suppose it is relatively low light, but as long as the plants are happy, no algae, I do not see the problem. :)

Biollante

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Light drives growth, so if you want faster growth you could mount reflectors on your T5's. This will boost the light in the tank around 30 to 50% and will still keep you at a reasonable PAR level.
If your friend is already using reflectors, make him change the standard Juwel tubes for another brand, like Dennerle. PAR output of these tubes is 30% higher than the standard Juwel tubes.
Keep in mind that CO2 and nutrition demands will rise too.

regards,
dutchy

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
sorry i didn't answer before..here is the situation..she have reflectors on this two t5's..
dutchy, you said to change this juwel tubes with another wich is better..in croatia there is no other except jbl, philips, arcadia, silvanya..poor i know, which one is better than juwel original..
thanks for replying
dario!

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
With reflectors there's enough light with the standard fixture. I measured a Juwel tank some time ago with my PAR meter which gave a good value of around 50 micromols at the substrate. Philips and Sylvania tubes don't fit in Juwel fixtures. JBL and Arcadia have tubes that fit, but I don't know what the PAR output is of these tubes.

Based on your info there's not much to diagnose. How's tapwater there?
If there's no algae, everything seems to be ok. Some plants just don't grow fast.

regards,
dutchy

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
hi again..
water that she use is very very hard, i think like 17-20 dkh..
before this aquarium, she had a 100 liter tank, with same plants, dutch stile, and look's amaizing..after she remove this plants to juwel, something is going wrong, like i said plants are not growing at all..very very slow..so we think there is a problem with aquarium deep..
can we try to put one more t5?

dario!

ibanezfrelon

Guru Class Expert
May 18, 2010
croatia
I've told her at the gathering that her light is enough :)
I forgot how she distributes co2 ...
She says that her dc is yellow , right?

ibanezfrelon

Guru Class Expert
May 18, 2010
croatia
My guess is that if her ferts dosing is ok, non limiting , than she should try to improve her co2 ..
Increasing the amount little by little every week, watching the fish for signs of stress , than if the fish are fine, increase co2 some more etc.
There should be results.

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
not understand what's the point?
dc is yellow, so, there must be enough co2 in aquarium, in my opinion increasing co2 will not put any more results..i will go with more light in aquarium, because, more light, plants will absorbe more co2 from water and maybe then start to grow much better, or i'm wrong
dario!

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
filter is original juwel of 1000/h, and one powerhead of 400l/h for co2...
if the flow will be problem, i think there will be algae issue, because of fertilization..
dario!

Scorpio_125

Junior Poster
Sep 6, 2010
i agree with higher light. i have a 24 inch (61cm) aquarium with 6 T5HO lamps, pressurized CO2, and EI dosing, and my plants grow so fast that they need to be trimmed every 2 or 3 days. my NO3 is 10, PO4 is 1-2, Fe is 0.4. they also pearl a TONNE. i have about 1400GPH (5300LPH) flow in the tank, and with the addition of the sump, another 1000GPH (3785 LPH). what plants do you have? are your lamps T5 NO, or T5 HO? either way, IMO 2 T5 lamps are not very bright for most plants.

HTH!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi folks,

Can we agree for the moment that a yellow DC does NOT ENSURE adequate or stable c02 levels?

A DC simply tells you what the c02 MAY have been 1-2 hours in the past. That is not accurate enough to guage good c02 during the entire photoperiod. Tom has shown that c02 concentrations change ALL THE TIME thru space and time. You may want to use a second and move them around the tank a bit. Check them at diff times, etc. Get an idea of your entire tank....

If using EI in non-limiting amounts and IMO you have plenty of light, I would look to either c02 and/or general current/flow.

I would slowly increase the c02 a bit weekly. Observe the fish and plants. Look for nice, algae free new growth. Good color, shape, etc. Fish should not be stressed: darker colors, heavy breathing, gathering at surface, hiding, etc.

Please remember that it takes 2-3 weeks for plants to recover after stress of stunting/periods of poor growth.

You may not get 'overnight' results. Water changes help a great deal. An extra 50% weekly won't hurt anything.

What is the tank size and EI dosing regimen again?

I would not be TOO concerned with the hardness, but I also know that some plants do better in hard water. Remember that plants will pull c02 out of the water hardness if no gaseous c02 is around. So, these plants do okay, but remove c02 for the other plants, which causes issues.

Are some of the plants doing well and others not? Which ones are okay? Val, elodea, sag?

Hope this helps.

Scorpio_125,

I assume your post made it? Want me to delete the other 2?

Do you like the amount of trimming you do now? Lowering your # of tubes will still give you nice growth, but will reduce the amount of trimming.

Just curious. Light is what drives plant growth and nutrient/c02 demand. 6x5 t5ho is driving a very high demand. This may eventually prove too much to provide even if all seems okay now. As plant bio-mass increases, c02 and other ferts also need to be increased.

Just want to ensure you don't have issues later on.........

Last edited by a moderator:

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
hi gerry !
thanks for replying on this thread..
as i said aquarium is not my, than of my friend, and we deicide yesterday to increase co2, day by day to maximum that should go..
and waiting what will happened, i think that then will be ok, as you said..
just for the record, bulb are ho
thanks for helping
dario!