Dealing with Direct Sunlight

Kevmo

Junior Poster
Jan 23, 2005
Hi Tom!

I had a close call today. I almost had to set up a tank for a friend that would have been struck by direct afternoon sunlight. Instead, they decided to put it away from the window.

So, let's say they had decided to leave it there. What would you (I) do differently?

Kevmo

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Dealing with Direct Sunlight

Kevmo,
I'm sure Tom will be by directly but I thought I'd stick my nose in for a second:
I've always liked the look of a tank in a window that has either mini-blinds
or split bamboo to shade the sunlight. Diane Walstad has pictures of tanks in
windows like this, and I think it looks pretty cool :cool:

YMMV,

Bill

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania

I, too like the look...

I have a related question, however. Diana Walstad uses sunlight to augment the flourescent lights on her tanks for plant growth. Since it has been postulated and experiments have shown that if nutrients are sufficient for plants in the water, algae will be kept in check (or eradicated?). And if I understand correctly, too much light can stunt growth. (I am still very new to all this and reading a lot, so please pardon any misunderstanding at this time).

My question is, why not use sunlight if one is dosing appropriate amounts? It looks very natural and beautiful. It is free. It provides a wide spectrum of light. It provides lots and lots of very beneficial photons. ;-)

What would be the arguments against using sunlight?

If one had the tank in a window receiving indirect sunlight (north facing), or just early morning (east facing) or late afternoon/evening (west facing) and not overpowered to the point of "cooking" the tank, would this not be a Good thing?

-Jason

a1matt

Prolific Poster
Jan 30, 2006

I too am curious to see any informed replies to this topic.

One argument against sunlight could be that in hotter climates it could cause a tank to overheat... this wouldn't affect me though, I live in England :rolleyes:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I've often had tanks get 2-4 hours of sunlight.

For all the bemoaning and carrying on, whining etc about it, if you have decent nutrients/ etc, there's little wrong with it.

I fully intent to use free light in my home for the tanks and the HQI's are extra.

Regards,
Tom Barr

a1matt

Prolific Poster
Jan 30, 2006

Thanks for the reply Tom, that's successfully put an end to my belief in the 'never put a tank in sunlight' myth !