This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

De-gassing co2

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by samh, Mar 21, 2011.

1. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    5:09 AM
    Hey all,

Recently i've noticed that my oxygen levels are down in my tank. I have pressurized co2 with a ph controller. I have a lot of rippling always when lights are on and an aerator during lights off however, the fish are always breathing heavy.

I use a reactor and a DIY needle wheel. Am i having this problem due to high dissolved c02 levels not being used up?

Are their more efficient ways of oxygenating the water than aerators and surface agitation.

Btw my nitrate is 20-30ppm, phosphate is high approx 8ppm, nitrite 0, ammonia 0

Cheers
    Sam

2. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    What is your tank dimension?
    I've found recently that a tank with low surface area ratio compared to height,
    such as a cubic shape tank, will has more issue about this than a standard size tank.

Ripple + air pump doesn't work?
    Add a Surface skimmer perhaps.
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7982-O2-readings-from-multiple-tanks

3. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    My oxygenator of choice.

Pat

4. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No mean to disrespect you at all but unless you measure it, you're only guessing. It may be that you have too much CO2 and not necessarily too low oxygen. You could have both problems also.

CO2 at high enough levels may not be lethal but affect fish behavior, like bringing them to surface gasping. I've seen small fish gasping at surface level with >90% DO (safe for most species) but with CO2 at >60ppm (I stop measuring once I hit that threshold).

Lowering CO2 usually solves this. I learned here, in this forum, to begin injecting CO2 at low levels and move carefully from lower to higher, carefully observing fish and plants, instead of the opposite which by the way was exactly how I used to do it.

I build up slowly until I get say 45ppm of CO2 and leave it there; for me that's a high enough yet safe for fish CO2 concentration; note that you may get different readings of CO2 depending where the sample is taken from; I usually make two measurements, taking water samples away from the DIY reactor, one close to substrate and one close to surface.

I use the Hach CO2 test kit and a (second hand I got for 60USD) portable Oakton DO meter. Drop checkers work fairly well for our purposes despite the huge error of measurement involved. I'm not familiar with the DO test marketed for aquarium use.

Most of my tanks are tall ones so I need to be careful with DO levels even if non-CO2 due to smaller footprint than "standard".

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

5. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I'll double check my ammonia, because my tank has been established for over a year and it only went bad after a water change, maybe one of the parameters has changed. My tank Dimensions Are 48" x 24"wide x 28 high" - roughly 125g+. I have 2 of 3 filter outlets skimming the surface creating lots of ripples. and the aerator at night. I haven't knowingly changed anything from before when it was fine. Maybe i should raise my the ph on my controller and slowly drop it to increse co2 again until i find a safer level.

I've just noticed the slow reaction in the tanks ph to when the aerater is added it takes 1 hour for the ph to go from 6.8-6.3 but probably 4 hours+ to go back up at the end of the day? Is that normal?

Cheers
    Sam

6. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Talking about suface skimming. A real surface skimmer is located at a filter inlet.
    May be you are referring to lily pipe vortex effect? Having never used one (the lily pipe),
    so I don't know if it's as effective as a real surface skimmer.

7. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Now talking about O2 level. I think I'm struggling about this issue with my new
    90g (nearly cube) tank myself. So I did a research about things that seem related to the issue.

My 7-8 years old angelfish hates Prime. It breaths heavily every time when I use
    Prime while doing water change. I use correct dose. (I used only aged water with my old
    tank and never had this problem). Other fishes seem fine.

Then I read that Prime is a reducing agent. Oxygen level will drop for a while when using it.
    But it should not be a problem with correct dosage, right? So there may be other variables
    in my case. Or it's just my Angelfish is very old.

Are you using Excel? Using water conditioner and Excel at the same time will further lower
    available oxygen.
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/seachem/66762-poisoning-reaction-excel.html
    http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=3868

It seems you haven't had the problem before...
    Reducing agent can be from substrate too if it's too anaerobic, such as H2S. Try checking that.

8. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Yeah i'll have to look into surface skimming. Yeah i'd say it was a heat issue as well. I live in brisbane/sunshine coast,Queensland Australia and our autumn temps are quite high these last couple of weeks around 30+ Celsius (sorry can't convert farenheit). I use Seachem safe which is the powder version of prime never had any troubles in my rainbows until recently. I 'm starting to think that a combination of 3 factors happened in my case, 1 - high co2 concentration; including lower ph etc 2 - high temp 3 - Tank conditions un-stabilized for short period after the big water change.

Don't really use excel can't really comment sorry.
    Thanks for your input

Sam

9. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time: