This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Daily water changes

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Bill, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Hi Tom,

If I wanted to do daily 50% water changes for a while, what would you suggest as to resetting the macros and micros?

Should I reset the macros in the morning and the traces in the evening or do the macros one day and the traces the next?

Right now on my 120g tank I add the following nutrients.

CO2 always kept above 30 and runs while the lights are on and 1 hour before.

Day #1
    KNO3 1.5 tsp
    KH2PO4 .25 tsp
    K2SO4 2 tsp
    MGSO4 .75 tsp
    CACL2 1.25 tsp

Days #2,#4 and #6
    Flourish 25ml
    Seachem Fe 10ml

Days #3,#5 and #7
    KNO3 1.5 tsp
    KH2PO4 .25 tsp

So if I add Day #1 nutrients in the morning and Day #2 nutrients in the evening is this to much?

What would you suggest?

Bill

2. fosteder

fosteder Guru Class Expert

Re: Daily water changes

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do daily 50% water changes?

Is there a reason or is it just some sort of self-punishment? :D

3. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

I would like to hope and believe that he has a pair of beautiful rare fish that he is trying to induce to spawn ...

... otherwise its a scary question ...

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

You'll just dose right back whatever you remove for daily water changes.
    I'd add a tad less(say 25% less) of things than what you are now using, you do not need this much.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Thanks for the help, so I will add the macros's in the morning and the traces at night but 25% less than I am adding now on Day #1 and Day #2.

The reason that I am changing the water everyday is because I am temporarily overstocked and feeding a little heavy. So I decided to go with the extra water changes for a week or so to prevent algae from the extra NH4.

It only takes about 5 minutes of my time and about 15 minutes drain time (while I can do something else) to do a 50% water change. The tank backs up to a garage wall where I have the water coming right to the back of the tank.

I do have this right don't I, didn't Tom say that with daily water changes you could prevent algae caused by NH4?

Bill