Daily water changes and EI

hadjici2

Junior Poster
Aug 19, 2005
Hello,

my question is how do I dose EI if I do daily or everyother day water changes.

Currently I dose 8ml of macros 3 times a week and 4ml of micros 3 times a week.

1. If I make daily water changes do I just change the water and add 4ml macros and 2ml micros before lights on?

2. If I do every other day water changes do I change the water and add 8ml of macros and the next day 4ml of micros?

Thanks

hadjici2

Junior Poster
Aug 19, 2005
Another question...

EI is about having available micros and macros for the plants. We do a 50% water change to reset the tank, then on Day 1 we add macros and on Day 2 we add micros and so forth for 6 total days of the week. On Day 1 though when we added the macros, we did not add micros, so how would they be available to the plants? Taking into account that we have reset the tank the day before with a 50% water change, the micros are missing on Day 1 which defeats the purpose of EI.

Please explain... :)

Thanks

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Good Question, But Why The Attitude?

Hi,

Depending on how much water you are changing, as a percentage, I think might be the point Dutchy was making.:)

The question is why are you making so many water changes, EI is based on a weekly cycle, altering that cycle requires an alteration to the plan.

I have tanks, containers and jars that I do large water changes daily or every other day, generally I put whatever level of nutrients I consider non-limiting each day. Some of these water changes are 100 plus percent.:rolleyes::)

Sometimes it depends on why I am doing the water changes. Sometimes I do not add nutrients at all, especially if the reason I am doing all the extra water changes is for nutrient export.;)

If I were changing 50% of the water every other day, in lieu of filtration for waste management as I do with some grow out tanks, I dose macros on water change and micros on the day off.:)

If I were doing a 50% water change every day, I would probably alternate macros and micros each day.:02.47-tranquillity:

Biollante

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Mary Mary Quite Contrary.

The calc dutch is referring to can suggest recommended, daily, weekly, etc., EI doses, etc. for any size tank, as well as, long term concentrations over time. It accounts for the number and percentage of water that is changed, nutrients in your tap water, nutrients from food, etc., try it out. Dose both macro/micro EI daily, IMHO. At the daily concentration you will add to your tank, daily micro and macro doses are fine as I understand it. :tan:

[video=youtube;JA_r1Ynl4Ls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_r1Ynl4Ls&feature=related[/video]

Snivi

Junior Poster
Mar 15, 2012
hadjici2;82955 said:
Taking into account that we have reset the tank the day before with a 50% water change, the micros are missing on Day 1 which defeats the purpose of EI.

Please explain... :)

Thanks
The 50% water change only divide by 2 the ppm of micro it dont remove all the micro.
I think the word reset is disturbing and make somme peoples think all the nutriment are removed.