This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Daily EI dosing - GH booster needed ?

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by Passgad, May 26, 2015.

1. Passgad

Passgad Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:25 PM
    After almost 15 years of using PPS-PRO, I decided to give EI a try since I have recently restarted my ADA 90-p tank with ADA Aqua soil AMAZONIA.

I ONLY use RO water which I remineralize with SEACHEM Equilibrium. 20% Water changes are done weekly.

I want to dose daily.

This is the recipe for the macro solution that I have found from one of Tom's posts:

60 grams KNO3

15 grams of KH2PO4

25 grams of GH booster (K2SO4 +MgSO4 may be used instead if the GH is high in the tap water)

I am concerned about the last line. So everyday, a little bit of GH booster will be added ? what are the exact quantity (in grams please) of K2SO4 +MgS04 if we use RO/DI water to create the macro solution ? I have read from another post that it's 50/50 ? I think there will be a Calcium deficiency eventually, no ? What should I add ?

Cheers

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Seachem Equilibrium contains Ca, Mg, K+ etc; no need to add it, just during WCs.

3. Passgad

Passgad Junior Poster

Local Time:
    So no need to add a GH booster in the MACRO solution as well ? We will just rely on WCs ?

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Plants don't use much Ca or Mg. However, they are necessary ions that aids in uptake of other nutrients and helps prevent nutrient toxicity. Without them, other metals can become toxic even at low levels. So yes, just rely on the WCs.

5. Kampi

Kampi Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have a 207 gallon aquarium system and use RO water. I change 100 gallons every 2 weeks and add my GH booster at that time (Barrs GH Booster is composed of 1 part magnesium sulfate, 3 parts potassium sulfate and 3 parts calcium sulfate). When I calculate out the K available with KNO3 and KH2PO4 to reach levels of acceptable NO3 and PO4 the K level is a bit low. Low being 5 PPM; where 10 PPM is just the beggining of an EI goal. Does anyone have an opinion on this low K?

6. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would like to address the matter of water changes. It is better to do smaller water changes more frequently. It is better to maintain homeostasis of water chemistry instead of allowing the water chemistry to go way off the scale and then making huge changes to correct back to normal. Changing 1/4-1/3 of the tank water a couple of times a week is so much nicer for plants and fish. Think living in your own waste for a week or two and then removing everything, including nutrients, to start over.

7. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Most of that waste, I assume ammonia, is converted to nitrate so it's harmless. These aren't goldfish bowls but ones with appropriate filtration. I don't know what the reason for these excessive water changes are since I've yet to see a carefully controlled experiment showing the benefits to plants and fish.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Water changes= algae hates it, plants like it.

You need another reason?

If you trim and make a mess, this often pulls up sediment, which in turns lowers O2 levels.

Removing the muck and detritus is best done with a water change.

Water changes add more O2.

Water changes = fish like them.

These are very basic reasons to do them and it removes many of the unknowns you cannot see.

Then you can also add ferts easily over a used defined range with a high degree of confidence without test kits.

So...........given this...........it's a pretty simple reason to do them.

ADG, myself, Amano, Oliver Knott, top aquascapers world wide all do them.

We all tell folks to do them independent of eachother and caqme to similar conclusion. Same with a good LFS.

Maybe we are all wrong and it is bad advice, but I'd not bet on it.

While a few folks can and will avoid water changes, I've not seen them win many accolades either. There are some methods and management methods to reduce them certainly..........but new folks and general advice? Hell fricking no.