This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Dosing

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by 83mulligan, Jan 24, 2005.

1. 83mulligan

83mulligan Junior Poster

Tom,

I just lucked into a free metering pump from a friend of mine in the turf industry. I plan on using it with a timer to dose daily. I'd like to set it up to dose one pint per day for a two week period (sometimes I travel for work). My first question is that with a two gallon mixture, can I use an airstone to keep it agitated as long as the container is vented? Second, my tank isn't set up yet and I have well water. Should I get the well tested to determine a starting point for the estimative index? I'll be using the water before it goes through a softener to eliminate variablilty.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Re: Daily Dosing

I do not add aeration to dosing nutrient reserviors.
    No need.

A softener will add salt(NaCL or KCL) and a lot.
    I'd by pass that for your tank's water changes.

Check the KH/Gh of the well water.
    There's not going to be that much variabilty and you end up trading Na/CL/K ions for Ca/Mg which are better and harder to dose back in.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. 83mulligan

83mulligan Junior Poster

Do I need a well test for phosphate and nitrates to base calculations off of? Isn't 2 weeks a long time for a complex solution of fertilizer to keep without precipitating?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Probably don't need to worry too much in MI about PO4/NO3.
    If there is some in the water, the excess will not hurt..........

You just might not need to dose one or both them once or twice a week....is all.

KNO3/KH2PO4 will not precipitate out, the trace mix should be dosed seperately from the macro's. So ideally you'd have 2 dosing pumps and resevirors.

I suppose you could have one dosing pump and 2 reserivors + a Tee but you'd have to mix them the same time which might cause some precipitation.

Regards,
    Tom Barr