This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling tank before planting

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Beni, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Beni

Beni Member
    Premium Member

Local Time:
    12:56 PM
    I have seen several videos from The Green Machine aquascaping tutorials (quite a good watch for ideas or inspiration BTW)

I was surprised by his latest video though, as he suggested completing the hardscape, and cycling the tank 3-4 weeks before planting. He uses the ADA soil etc.

Now this makes sense to me, and TBH I don't know why I never thought of it myself. I guess it because I was following guides that always suggested to plant same day, do frequent water changes etc.

My question is, is there any negative aspects to this I cannot see? I can think of some positives:

• Ammonia / Nitrates stable, can begin a standard and consistent fert regime right away
    • During cycling, no lights are needed so very low risk of algae
    • Able to use activated carbon during cycle to get rid of and wood tannins colouring water (II always have bad experiences with carbon reducing iron to 0 early obn in my tanks)
    • As the soil is nice and wet, planting will be easier. (No matter how much you wet the soil when planting in freshly scaped soil, there are bubbles, soil sticks to tweezers, etc)

Interested to hear what you guys think!

Ben

DutchMuch likes this.
  2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10:56 PM
    I have failed, exact opposite from day one, heavily planted.
    Being paranoid of ammonia burn I tested water every day for a week.
    Plants seemed to suck it up for me with no issues.
    Never over .25ppm of NH3, with lots of plants, no real visible substrate.

Of course for me lights were needed with all those plants and CO2 from day one.

Run Purigen in all my tanks, no carbon, not ever.

All soil was wetted in a bucket for 1 week, all floaters removed too and rinsed off daily.
    Bubbles, yes there was lots of bubbles, didn't mind so much.

3. bshenanagins

bshenanagins Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:56 PM
    My low tech I have together now was cycled within a week. Planted heavily and ran an aquaclear30 on my 5 gallon with MGOPM underneath the sand cap. Nitrates were sky high but no ammonia or nitrite. However I guess it may be different with AS since it is completely exposed to the water column unlike capped dirt.

Tags: