This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CWC and EI combo, best approach?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by edwardsmith, May 23, 2015.

1. edwardsmith

edwardsmith Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:28 AM
    Would this work or am I over thinking this.....again (I really do need medication).

Was initially planning to use CWC's, then thought about the unnecessary loss of fertilizers.

Now thinking this daily cycle:

10a: CWC is off and fertilizers are added (EI method) via dosing pumps over the course of an hour (dosers are slow).

11a: Lights on

9p: Lights off

8a (next day): CWC turns on for two hours (guess it should be IWC, for "intermittent water change.") adding 20g over the two hours or 54.06 % of the tank's water in a week based on calculator)

Repeat

Thoughts?

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    54.06% water change per week? That's 4.06% too much. :)

Should work. Probably over thinking it. Address the basics. Watch the plants. If things are not working out, tweak.

3. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I did exactly that-about 45% water daily change just before dosing and lights came on.

Increased the ferts to the next EI level to compensate for increased WC.

Got really nice results, water was extremely clear, 99% reduction in the little bit of algae I had, wood stayed perfectly clean and natural brown.

It took about 2 months for all that to happen.

But, around the same time, certain stem plants (e.g., AR, P. Erectus), Monte Carlo and Downoi seemed to stop growing and were slowing melting away.

I had never had trouble growing those plants before.

Thinking I needed to replace the carbon block, and wanting to see what was what, so, I went back to 1 a week WC.

Monte Carlo stated growing immediately, and returned to full growth. But the Downoi was still having big trouble--I was down to one plant left.

Make a long story short, I later realized that I had stopped using Excel about the same time as the daily WC.

Started using Excel again and the AR and Downoi started growing again.

So, I plan to replace my carbon block, go back to daily 50% AND continue to use Excel, to see what happens.

Please report back your experience in a month or two.