This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

customco2.com

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by oldpunk, Jun 29, 2011.

1. oldpunk

oldpunk Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    7:40 AM
    maknwar and myself have decided to teem up and and start our own custom co2 regulator website. The site is still in it's infancy and we could really use some opinions and feedback about how the site looks and things you would like to find there. Check it out and let us know what you think.

http://www.customco2.com/

-Josh

2. maknwar

maknwar Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think we are leaning towards the custom setup idea rather than just pumping out regulators that are just mediocre. Please let us know if the site is friendly, what is missing and what you would like to see in a site such as this. Thanks.

3. PlasticPlants

PlasticPlants Junior Poster

Local Time:
    it would be nice if you can click on the pics to enlarge them.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Josh,

Heading over to the site now, but in general:

1). If you customize you need to demonstrate a configuration (if possible). Configure to order my be best for you but maybe put out some sample configs so folks know what you have.

2). Pics as stated and a description of the component and perhaps how it fits in?

3). Perhaps a simple list of the brands and mfg used for each component. Regs (matheson, victor, concoa), needle valves (fabco, ideal, etc), solenoid (burkert (buna or viton).

4). Explain how and why a manifold can control multiple tanks from ONE regulator and tank.

5). BTW, if you can work with a local welding supply, they may be able to offer used c02 tanks, 5,10,20 lbs for much less than new. A bit of sandblasting and paint and will look like new. I got my 10lb this way for $40 filled. Unpainted however and is ugly as sin, but works fine for over 3 years now.

A handy link to the 'short' and 'condensed' version of the Regulator thread by LeftC may be helpful :)

Thanks for listening. I think you are filling a much needed niche.

Also, anything to help a customer understand the DIFFERENCE between the grades of parts (brass vs steel, nickel, etc), and help them understand the price difference is worthwhile IMO. "What am I getting if I buy buna vs viton?' sort of answers.

Why a victor 400 series vs a 300? Just making stuff up now but you get the idea..

I bet you are sorry you asked for feedback now :)

#4 Gerryd, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Some text verbiage as you roll over the pic gallery would be nice. Or some text close to each pic explaining what the customer is looking at.

Remember that many folks still know almost nothing about c02 usage, let alone the equipment and cost.

A paragraph or two explaining the long term cost of DIY C02 vs a auto setup may also prove useful.

Folks forget how much time/effort DIY can take. If they have a better alternative, they will go for it.

6. maknwar

maknwar Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    i made the pics full size.

7. maknwar

maknwar Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    very good info. As we work on the site, we will add more stuff like this.

8. maknwar

maknwar Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

awesome, thanks. I added some info about some of the regulators at the bottom of the pics. I need to get with Josh to make sure the info is correct.

#8 maknwar, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  9. Gbark

Gbark Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi,

I would like to see in the "Equipment" tab. Where you have listed the makes of valves etc. It would be good if you could roll over or click on the manufacture name and then see a picture and short discription of it.

Could you also source some good glassware form china or likes to support the regulators.
    Also I made myself some stainless lilly pipes. Really easy to make all you need is a pipe bender and some stainless tube, this would compliment your regs.

Some thoughts :D

10. 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Very nice. I particularly like all the examples in the gallery so that someone who doesn't know EXACTLY what they want or need can choose from the examples some ideas. However, I notice not all the pics have descriptions, and some of the descriptions do not have as much details as others. For instance, not all of them have listed whether the reg is single or dual stage, but have the model number, so unless one knew the model number, they wouldn't know what type it was, etc. Man, your site pushes me ever closer to selling my setups for a custom rig.

11. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Some standardized configs would be good, you could then customize those configs.

Manifold options and multiple solenoids to feed multiple tanks would be good to explain.

Why would I want a certain make/model of regulator as opposed to another?

What options of solenoid would be available, and why would I choose one vs. another?

-
    S

12. oldpunk

oldpunk Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I can't tell you guys how much everyone is helping. We really appreciate it. :)

I have been working on my camera skills in the last few hours and need some opinions.

Here's a pic of a sample regulator:

[​IMG]

Will this type of photo fit the bill or do I still more practice at it? :/

13. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Perhaps matching a setup for a certain size of tank. Certain regulators are huge and may not work with a #5 co2 tank that needs to fit in a tighter space. At the same time a larger regulator could be matched with a #10 or #20 and be perfect for a multi-tank or huge tank solution.

Also I'm not sure whether you are just custom designing regulators or looking to provide a plug and play solution that might include tubing, something to diffuse CO2, etc. I think plug and play could be a very good selling point for those that just want something that works well and does not really care how it works.

This site looks like something I could have used to when I was getting started.