CSM+B and MgSO4 with CaCl2?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
1,346
0
36
Anyone tried it? I'm wondering if it'd be stable, and which order to combine them in. I know the MgSO4 needs to go before the CSM+B, but I'm not sure where the CaCl2 would fit in.

-Philosophos
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
743
113
Why would it not work I guess would be a better question?
MgSO4 is added to PMDD with CMS+B already.........TMG has MgSO4 etc
CaCO3 not a good idea, CaCl2 and CaSO4 should be okay.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
821
2
16
I also don't see why should be any issue. Just keep in mind to add CaCl2 diluted and separate recipient maybe as it is very exothermous reaction ---> heat generated when diluted
 

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
1,346
0
36
The CaCl2 being compatible with everything in CSM+B was my main concern. I wasn't sure of the complete list of compounds that goes in to CSM+B, and I've had enough fun with CaCl2 creating precipitates.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I'll be testing things out in the next few days.

-Philosophos
 

Singtoh

Prolific Poster
Sep 12, 2009
88
0
6
Bangkok,Thailand
Philosophos;40269 said:
The CaCl2 being compatible with everything in CSM+B was my main concern. I wasn't sure of the complete list of compounds that goes in to CSM+B, and I've had enough fun with CaCl2 creating precipitates.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I'll be testing things out in the next few days.

-Philosophos

Hello all,

I have a (probably stupid question)? I have a KH of 6 and a GH of 14 in my aquarium. Water from the tap is KH 1 and Gh 3. I am pretty sure I know how the water gets hard after I put it in the aquarium, and that is from various rock gathered in Africa and the Middle East, Limestone I guess, amongst many others. My question is, with the KH and GH being what they are, do i need to add MgS04 to my fert mix?? I don't add Calcium, but at the moment I am adding MgS04 to CSM+B, I thought that is where I should put it instead of in the Macro mix, but do I need it at all?? Call me the village idiot, but going by the calculators reccomendations of X amounts ppm of Mgso4, I have been adding it, and surely I wouldn't need to add Calcium, rite??. Nothing seems amiss and all seems to be growing well, just wondering. I have been adding 11 teaspoons to 1 liter DI water, according to the "fertilator" I am adding 0.7693 ppm per day of MgSo4(I dose daily)to my aquarium. I am mixing lean so I can auto dose daily with DIY auto dosers. Thanks in advance for any helpful reply.

Cheers,

Singtoh
 

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
1,346
0
36
I'm more targeting nutrient requirements by individual element rather than trying to aim for a specific GH. By the time you're dealing with individual nutrients, you no longer need to be concerned with satisfying GH, since it's only a more general method of measuring these elements. I already know what range the magnesium and calcium content out of my tap is throughout the year, and I've compensated, so most of this is just playing around with where I put the nutrients in the bottles.

-Philosophos
 

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
3,210
1
36
Surprise, AZ
Epsom Salts Good!

Hi Singtoh,

Generally, we add the MgSO4 to the macronutrients, though I am not sure, there is any reason not to add to CSM+B. I have heard rational, but I was a PMDD sort for many years and saw no ill affect from rolling them together.

I would continue to add the MgSO4 (most likely MgSO4.7H2O), I suppose there is no great need to add any Calcium, such as CaMg(CO3)2. Though odd as it may seem I would still add a little GH booster at each weekly water change.

As long as you are doing 50% or better water changes every week you will be fine and sure that you are not limiting anyone.:)

I am not sure I understood the “I have been adding 11 teaspoons to 1 liter DI water” part. Eleven teaspoons of what?

Biollante
 

Singtoh

Prolific Poster
Sep 12, 2009
88
0
6
Bangkok,Thailand
Biollante;41029 said:
Hi Singtoh,

Generally, we add the MgSO4 to the macronutrients, though I am not sure, there is any reason not to add to CSM+B. I have heard rational, but I was a PMDD sort for many years and saw no ill affect from rolling them together.

I would continue to add the MgSO4 (most likely MgSO4.7H2O), I suppose there is no great need to add any Calcium, such as CaMg(CO3)2. Though odd as it may seem I would still add a little GH booster at each weekly water change.

As long as you are doing 50% or better water changes every week you will be fine and sure that you are not limiting anyone.:)

I am not sure I understood the “I have been adding 11 teaspoons to 1 liter DI water” part. Eleven teaspoons of what?

Biollante

Hello Biollante,

That was 11 teaspoons of MgS04.7H2O mixed into 1 liter of Distilled water, and I do the 50% water changes every week. I added the MgS04.7H2O to the CSM+B thinking that since CSM+B already has Magnesium in it, that seemed like the place it should go. The Aquatic Plant Fertilator calculator says that I am adding .10063ppm per ml, I dose 10 ml per day so that is 1ppm per day, that includes whats in CSM+B. Does that seem rite or is the calculator off, or possibly my brain:D , Thanks for the reply, and any advice in advance.

Cheers,

Singtoh
 

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
3,210
1
36
Surprise, AZ
No Problem I Can See

Hi Sintoh,

I don’t see any problem with mixing the Epsom Salt with the CSM+B, someone may have a reason but I don’t know what it is, I always put it off to custom or evening the daily dose over the course of a week.

I cannot see anything wrong with the arithmetic.:)

I would at least double the dose of MgS04.7H2O, personally I dose much higher than that.

Biollante
 

Singtoh

Prolific Poster
Sep 12, 2009
88
0
6
Bangkok,Thailand
Biollante;41036 said:
Hi Sintoh,

I don’t see any problem with mixing the Epsom Salt with the CSM+B, someone may have a reason but I don’t know what it is, I always put it off to custom or evening the daily dose over the course of a week.

I cannot see anything wrong with the arithmetic.:)

I would at least double the dose of MgS04.7H2O, personally I dose much higher than that.

Biollante

Hi Biollante,

Ok, at the moment I am out of MgS04.7H20, but I will go get some. I have an EI-NCC(Nutrients Concentration Calculator) that I downloaded and it refrences Tom Barr's EI Range as far as what is recommended. It says exactly what you have just told me, that I am not dosing nearly enough. I just thought 11 teaspoons was alot, and also thought that the maybe the calculators were off or something. Thanks for clearing this up for me Biollante. Makes me feel a bit better that I am not way overdosing, but I will get some and adjust the mix to coincide with the EI-NCC range of things. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it much.:)

Cheers,

Singtoh
 

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
3,210
1
36
Surprise, AZ
Blinding Light Intensity

Hi Singtoh,

Just remember that EI dosing is intended, to not-limit growth, as long as you are doing minimum 50% weekly water changes you could dose higher safely.

Want to really push it? You can safely dose an entire weeks worth three times a week by doing 70% water changes every other day, macronutrients after the water change, micronutrients the next day, take the fifth day off.:D

For those that want screaming, jamming, blinding light intensity, this is one way to do it and your plants will love you.

I have done this a couple of times, once in direct sunshine (one thing we got is sunshine). I think the amazing part was the CO2 stability. I wish I had paid better attention but I think I actually used less CO2 for the same or better CO2 levels. Then again I may be nuts.:eek: Nuts or not, the plants were gorgeous, no algae problems or for that matter no problems at all.:)

Biollante