This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSM+B and MgSO4 with CaCl2?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Philosophos, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Anyone tried it? I'm wondering if it'd be stable, and which order to combine them in. I know the MgSO4 needs to go before the CSM+B, but I'm not sure where the CaCl2 would fit in.

-Philosophos

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Why would it not work I guess would be a better question?
    MgSO4 is added to PMDD with CMS+B already.........TMG has MgSO4 etc
    CaCO3 not a good idea, CaCl2 and CaSO4 should be okay.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

I also don't see why should be any issue. Just keep in mind to add CaCl2 diluted and separate recipient maybe as it is very exothermous reaction ---> heat generated when diluted

4. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

The CaCl2 being compatible with everything in CSM+B was my main concern. I wasn't sure of the complete list of compounds that goes in to CSM+B, and I've had enough fun with CaCl2 creating precipitates.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I'll be testing things out in the next few days.

-Philosophos

5. Singtoh

Singtoh Prolific Poster

Hello all,

I have a (probably stupid question)? I have a KH of 6 and a GH of 14 in my aquarium. Water from the tap is KH 1 and Gh 3. I am pretty sure I know how the water gets hard after I put it in the aquarium, and that is from various rock gathered in Africa and the Middle East, Limestone I guess, amongst many others. My question is, with the KH and GH being what they are, do i need to add MgS04 to my fert mix?? I don't add Calcium, but at the moment I am adding MgS04 to CSM+B, I thought that is where I should put it instead of in the Macro mix, but do I need it at all?? Call me the village idiot, but going by the calculators reccomendations of X amounts ppm of Mgso4, I have been adding it, and surely I wouldn't need to add Calcium, rite??. Nothing seems amiss and all seems to be growing well, just wondering. I have been adding 11 teaspoons to 1 liter DI water, according to the "fertilator" I am adding 0.7693 ppm per day of MgSo4(I dose daily)to my aquarium. I am mixing lean so I can auto dose daily with DIY auto dosers. Thanks in advance for any helpful reply.

Cheers,

Singtoh

6. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

7. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

I'm more targeting nutrient requirements by individual element rather than trying to aim for a specific GH. By the time you're dealing with individual nutrients, you no longer need to be concerned with satisfying GH, since it's only a more general method of measuring these elements. I already know what range the magnesium and calcium content out of my tap is throughout the year, and I've compensated, so most of this is just playing around with where I put the nutrients in the bottles.

-Philosophos

8. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Epsom Salts Good!

Hi Singtoh,

Generally, we add the MgSO4 to the macronutrients, though I am not sure, there is any reason not to add to CSM+B. I have heard rational, but I was a PMDD sort for many years and saw no ill affect from rolling them together.

I would continue to add the MgSO4 (most likely MgSO4.7H2O), I suppose there is no great need to add any Calcium, such as CaMg(CO3)2. Though odd as it may seem I would still add a little GH booster at each weekly water change.

As long as you are doing 50% or better water changes every week you will be fine and sure that you are not limiting anyone.:)

I am not sure I understood the “I have been adding 11 teaspoons to 1 liter DI water” part. Eleven teaspoons of what?

Biollante

9. Singtoh

Singtoh Prolific Poster

Hello Biollante,

That was 11 teaspoons of MgS04.7H2O mixed into 1 liter of Distilled water, and I do the 50% water changes every week. I added the MgS04.7H2O to the CSM+B thinking that since CSM+B already has Magnesium in it, that seemed like the place it should go. The Aquatic Plant Fertilator calculator says that I am adding .10063ppm per ml, I dose 10 ml per day so that is 1ppm per day, that includes whats in CSM+B. Does that seem rite or is the calculator off, or possibly my brain:D , Thanks for the reply, and any advice in advance.

Cheers,

Singtoh

10. Biollante

Lifetime Member

No Problem I Can See

Hi Sintoh,

I don’t see any problem with mixing the Epsom Salt with the CSM+B, someone may have a reason but I don’t know what it is, I always put it off to custom or evening the daily dose over the course of a week.

I cannot see anything wrong with the arithmetic.:)

I would at least double the dose of MgS04.7H2O, personally I dose much higher than that.

Biollante

11. Singtoh

Singtoh Prolific Poster

Hi Biollante,

Ok, at the moment I am out of MgS04.7H20, but I will go get some. I have an EI-NCC(Nutrients Concentration Calculator) that I downloaded and it refrences Tom Barr's EI Range as far as what is recommended. It says exactly what you have just told me, that I am not dosing nearly enough. I just thought 11 teaspoons was alot, and also thought that the maybe the calculators were off or something. Thanks for clearing this up for me Biollante. Makes me feel a bit better that I am not way overdosing, but I will get some and adjust the mix to coincide with the EI-NCC range of things. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it much.:)

Cheers,

Singtoh

12. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Blinding Light Intensity

Hi Singtoh,

Just remember that EI dosing is intended, to not-limit growth, as long as you are doing minimum 50% weekly water changes you could dose higher safely.

Want to really push it? You can safely dose an entire weeks worth three times a week by doing 70% water changes every other day, macronutrients after the water change, micronutrients the next day, take the fifth day off.:D

For those that want screaming, jamming, blinding light intensity, this is one way to do it and your plants will love you.

I have done this a couple of times, once in direct sunshine (one thing we got is sunshine). I think the amazing part was the CO2 stability. I wish I had paid better attention but I think I actually used less CO2 for the same or better CO2 levels. Then again I may be nuts.:eek: Nuts or not, the plants were gorgeous, no algae problems or for that matter no problems at all.:)

Biollante