have to say that my Walstad tank has some very nice willisii and beckettii that
I wouldn't want to piss off by adding CO2. Rotala indica is growing great in
this tank as well. What are your thoughts, experiences on this, folks? And
is adding crypts to a new tank with CO2 contraindicated, or should I wait till
when the water becomes more "complex." This is a term I read somewhere,
which I found fascinating: I planted the crypts right off in the Walstad with
no problems, whatsoever. In my upcoming CO2 tanks I will use fastgrowers
like hornwort, hygro, also have a plant that looks like najas on steroids, need
to post a pic and see if anybody can identify it. :confused: Also will be planting mosses, java ferns, and anubias. Any other plant suggestions are
welcome!

Bill

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK
Re: Crypts + CO2=Melting?

Ive been told they melt when the waters too hot, I was at 26°c and they started to melt, turned it down and they are ok.
What temps the water at?

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK

I've got none melting Crypts in my hi-tech CO2 tank without problems.

They did melt initially but that was the normal transplanting shock. They are fine now and begining to spread. They are in a more shaded area of my tank though.

Ian

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

bill, i have a 20 long thats been setup for over two years. lighting is just two flor. bulbs. keep temp at about 78. crypts and anabius. plants allmost look imatation,they grow so nice. NO algae! no co2 , just use a little excell at water change. all my tanks with higher light have crypts. i've found that if you move these plants in same tank , does not seem to bother them. but move them to a different tank and they really take it out on the plantee. but they recover. someone that keeps discus and crypts,with co2 and high temp could let us know how crypts do for them. regards,cornhusker

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks for the responses, gang. The Walstad tank is a 7 gallon AG mini-bow
that is kept at 23-24C (no heaters) and will be housing some killies very
shortly. Crypts are favorite plants of mine and I want to try them when I get my new CO2 tanks set up. I am now much more encouraged! :)

Bill

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

:) bill, my favorite plant also are crypts,i just wish that i could find good place to buy many different species. everyone i've delt with just carry few. regards,cornhusker

MartinG

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Halesowen, England

Crypts and CO2 should be no problem. I have both. Melting of leaves may occur in a new tank or when transplanting. Some are more hardy than others. My supplier here in England advised C. Cordata and C. Ciliata may lose leaves due to new tank syndrome. I added Lucens, Beckettii and Nevillii in a new tank and they all did well. Some leaves may go but on the whole no problem. If any do melt, just leave them they will soon sprout new growth. They like iron in the substrate so laterite, iron filings etc.

Martin

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Cornhusker said:
:) bill, my favorite plant also are crypts,i just wish that i could find good place to buy many different species. everyone i've delt with just carry few. regards,cornhusker

Cornhusker, what crypts are you currently keeping?

Bill

phineus

Junior Poster
Jan 23, 2005

I've had Crypts in CO2 and non-CO2 tanks, no matter what happens, they will come back. I've had meltdowns but they always come back, and usually with a vengance.