This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptocoryne

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Tug, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I've been nursing this plant along. Calling it Cryptocoryne parva, as if I really know what I'm doing. It's been a nice plant and before I order anymore, maybe someone would tell me if it is what I thought or just some other weed. I might even try this in a brackish water (non-CO2) tank, but could use some input.
    If you have any experience with this plant, wassup? :p
    What do you know?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ekrindul

Ekrindul Guru Class Expert

Really hard to tell from the photos. Could be parva I guess. Looks more like a young Walkeri (Lutea), though, to me.

3. Tug

Lifetime Member

Thanks Ekrindul,
    I will see if I can get a better shot. My good camera is NFG after my last free dive. The plant in the picture, it has been growing in that spot for over a year and it has stayed pretty much just as you see it (except that it is slowly spreading.) Leaves are lance-shaped, about 2-3 inches.

#3 Tug, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
  4. Ekrindul

Ekrindul Guru Class Expert

I would lean toward Parva based on the length of time you've had it. If it was Lutea, I'd expect to see larger leaves, more growth after a year. Parva is a slower growing crypt.

5. Tug

Lifetime Member

I might just try it out in brackish water. If it does well, it makes a nice ground cover - even gets a little dark red at times.

6. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

You Asked...

Hi Tug,

My first reaction was that it is Cryptocoryne x willisii 'lucens' as the leaves seem too straight and do not have the paddle shape of Cryptocoryne parva. Both are notoriously slow growers that do well in low light. :)

Though the more I look at the photos the less sure, I am. :confused:

C. x willisii, C. x willisii 'lucens' or for that matter C. parva can take quite a while to take hold, all like enriched substrates and all will carpet a tank. I am quite certain it is not Cryptocoryne walker.

In any case, your plants appear somewhat anemic; I would definitely increase the iron and maybe dosing level in general. I cannot say for sure from the photo, but you may have it planted a little too deep.

As far as brakish water Cryptocoryne Spp. should do fairly well though C. ciliata, would be the odds on favorite. At any rate, I would not move the plant until it is well established. :gw

Good luck my friend,
    Biollante

7. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Upon Further Review

Hi Tug,

After using super-secret highly advanced photo enhancement technology, I still am not sure what species of Cryptocoryne, :( however I am sure the little guy is planted to deep. :gw

My advice is to gently remove the substrate covering the crown. :)

Cryptocoryne spp. do not generally like to be moved or fussed with, they do much better in pots if they need to be moved, ever. Give them a year or so after any disturbance.

You asked. I answered. You are welcome. :confused::confused:

Biollante