Creating Terraces in a Planted Tank

The Rockster

Guru Class Expert
Aug 10, 2007
South Florida
Anyone with experience making terraces in a planted tank?

At the lfs they have several tanks setup with multi walled terraces.

I did find Sand Banks made by ZanUSA at F&S (CD35744). However I was thinking about creating a multi wall terrace along my tank's back wall, so I would need some long, straight runs.

I don't want to glue glass or plexi to the bottom, as I wouldn't keep this permanently.

I am looking for pre made retainer walls made of resin or plastic. ( Don't want excessive weight on the bottom glass of the tank.)

Do they make retainer walls for fish tanks?

We checked out what is made for reptile tanks and did not find anything suitable.

BigFlusher

Prolific Poster
Dec 25, 2009
Sun City West, AZ
I have used a variety of containers and pots to form terraces. Look trough a good garden store, most can be drilled or knocked out.

That said I still think for most situations acrylic makes sense, the ease of forming with almost unlimited design possibilities. I have recently combined acrylic terracing with Tom Barr’s cork background and the effect is awesome. I cannot wait for the plants to grow in and across the cork. It also gave me a way of hiding some plumbing ala’ Biollante.

I understand not wanting to glue it down, try bracing and perhaps tacking with a little fish friendly silicone.

My ‘for at it is worth’

Joe

aakks

Junior Poster
Jul 22, 2009
Don't want excessive weight on the bottom glass of the tank.

Just fyi, this is NOT a problem. Reefers (like me) put hundreds of pounds of liverock into tanks with no problems.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Quite. There is a good video on youtube of someone placing their tank on a couple of 2x4 supports on just the ends of the tank. From there they pile in something like 50 lbs of rock or more, and then for good measure stand in the tank ( on top of the rock ) with no issues. Remember also that whatever rock you put in also displaces the water so you don't have that weight to deal with. Unless you're dealing with pumice the rock should weigh more than the water, but it can still add up significantly. Either way, your tank is much stronger than you think it is.

-
S

aakks;45559 said:
Just fyi, this is NOT a problem. Reefers (like me) put hundreds of pounds of liverock into tanks with no problems.

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
over_stocked;45585 said:
Using silicone to tack a wall in place would work fine. razor blade will clean it up when you want it gone.

'tis true...

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I do my terracing with wood and stone; resin casts just never seemed to look right to me. It's more effort, but worth it IMO.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Cork

Philosophos;45642 said:
I do my terracing with wood and stone; resin casts just never seemed to look right to me. It's more effort, but worth it IMO.

I agree, I think it worth the effort to piece them together. ;)

Another is a variation on Tom Barr's cork wall things especially toward the back, great for hiding little planters. Or for areas that will be overgrown.

Nice to see back Dan.:)

Biollante

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Straight pieces of driftwood work well. Also, glass with Cork glued to one side makes a nice solution or you can use slate and glue cork to it.
Stacking slate flat and build up like bricks works very well also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Oh, I forgot to mention something. If 100% natural materials isn't the goal, exo-terra terrarium vines might do a nice job. They look decently realistic in aquariums, and the flexibility might make for better control of terracing.

Biollante;45648 said:
Nice to see back Dan.:)

Thanks. Things have been busy. Besides personal life, there's a local aquarium club starting up so I've been spending my normal posting time on efforts here for once. A fert guide is also still in the works. Don't worry, I'm not about to disappear or anything :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Healthier Too

Philosophos;45968 said:
Besides personal life, there's a local aquarium club starting up so I've been spending my normal posting time on efforts here for once. A fert guide is also still in the works. Don't worry, I'm not about to disappear or anything :)

Hi Dan,

Glad to hear it, probably a more productive use of your time and a way to forward the hobby! :cool:

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Chuck To The Rescue!

Detritus Mulm;46026 said:
Likely more work than you want, but I remember seeing this guys work a long time ago:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_other_netmax_styro.htm

I seem to remember the same technique being used for caves as well.

Hi,

I stole...er, ah, used this idea in a couple of Lake Malawi biotopes. :)

Really a very good idea, note also the double pot idea that I also ripped off from Chuck.

It is simple enough even I could do it, with adult supervision of course.:eek:

Biollante