This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Creating Terraces in a Planted Tank

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by The Rockster, Jan 2, 2010.

1. The Rockster

The Rockster Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    7:23 AM
    Anyone with experience making terraces in a planted tank?

At the lfs they have several tanks setup with multi walled terraces.

I did find Sand Banks made by ZanUSA at F&S (CD35744). However I was thinking about creating a multi wall terrace along my tank's back wall, so I would need some long, straight runs.

I don't want to glue glass or plexi to the bottom, as I wouldn't keep this permanently.

I am looking for pre made retainer walls made of resin or plastic. ( Don't want excessive weight on the bottom glass of the tank.)

Do they make retainer walls for fish tanks?

We checked out what is made for reptile tanks and did not find anything suitable.

2. BigFlusher

BigFlusher Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I have used a variety of containers and pots to form terraces. Look trough a good garden store, most can be drilled or knocked out.

That said I still think for most situations acrylic makes sense, the ease of forming with almost unlimited design possibilities. I have recently combined acrylic terracing with Tom Barr’s cork background and the effect is awesome. I cannot wait for the plants to grow in and across the cork. It also gave me a way of hiding some plumbing ala’ Biollante.

I understand not wanting to glue it down, try bracing and perhaps tacking with a little fish friendly silicone.

My ‘for at it is worth’

Joe

3. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    1:23 AM
  4. aakks

aakks Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Just fyi, this is NOT a problem. Reefers (like me) put hundreds of pounds of liverock into tanks with no problems.

5. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Quite. There is a good video on youtube of someone placing their tank on a couple of 2x4 supports on just the ends of the tank. From there they pile in something like 50 lbs of rock or more, and then for good measure stand in the tank ( on top of the rock ) with no issues. Remember also that whatever rock you put in also displaces the water so you don't have that weight to deal with. Unless you're dealing with pumice the rock should weigh more than the water, but it can still add up significantly. Either way, your tank is much stronger than you think it is.

-
    S

6. over_stocked

over_stocked Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Using silicone to tack a wall in place would work fine. razor blade will clean it up when you want it gone.

7. DaBub

DaBub Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    'tis true...

8. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I do my terracing with wood and stone; resin casts just never seemed to look right to me. It's more effort, but worth it IMO.

9. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Cork

I agree, I think it worth the effort to piece them together. ;)

Another is a variation on Tom Barr's cork wall things especially toward the back, great for hiding little planters. Or for areas that will be overgrown.

Nice to see back Dan.:)

Biollante

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Straight pieces of driftwood work well. Also, glass with Cork glued to one side makes a nice solution or you can use slate and glue cork to it.
    Stacking slate flat and build up like bricks works very well also.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

11. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Oh, I forgot to mention something. If 100% natural materials isn't the goal, exo-terra terrarium vines might do a nice job. They look decently realistic in aquariums, and the flexibility might make for better control of terracing.

Thanks. Things have been busy. Besides personal life, there's a local aquarium club starting up so I've been spending my normal posting time on efforts here for once. A fert guide is also still in the works. Don't worry, I'm not about to disappear or anything :)

12. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Healthier Too

Hi Dan,

Glad to hear it, probably a more productive use of your time and a way to forward the hobby! :cool:

Biollante

13. Detritus Mulm

Detritus Mulm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  14. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Chuck To The Rescue!

Hi,

I stole...er, ah, used this idea in a couple of Lake Malawi biotopes. :)

Really a very good idea, note also the double pot idea that I also ripped off from Chuck.

It is simple enough even I could do it, with adult supervision of course.:eek:

Biollante