This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Creating Fert solution from dry ferts

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by lcassidyjr, Jun 10, 2017.

1. lcassidyjr

lcassidyjr Subscriber

Local Time:
    9:50 PM
    Hi, Folks! I've been out of the planted aquarium game for a few years and found a Betta that forced me to set up a small planted tank for him. I'm getting ready to mix my ferts and had a question about Wet's calculator.

I'm going to do a low light EI schedule and when I went to calculate my solution I noticed that I can only do one fert at a time. KNO3 and then KH2PO4. If I mix both doses in the same solution will this throw off the dosing? Or do I need a solution for each macro? In the past I mixed them together but can't find my calculation notes to see if each fert was adjusted for the combination.

Also, Using Tom's lowlight EI method, do I need to use K2SO4 in addition to the KNO3 and KH2PO4? or will just those two work?

Thanks for the help, everyone.

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    KNO3 and KH2PO4 are fine to combine. The only thing to consider in mixing them is that you get potassium from each. Since you'll likely use a lot more KNO3 than KH2PO4, most of the K is provided by it.

In low light, low-demand systems, you'll most likely get enough K without needing the sulfate.

3. lcassidyjr

lcassidyjr Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks for the feed back. it's all starting to come back slowly, haha.

4. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I hope you don't mind me jumping on here- I am trying to figure out the same things.

The tank will be: 20 US gallon regular, CO2 injection, medium light (24" Finnex FugeRaye Planted +), fully planted (semi-dutch)

According to the rotalabutterfly calculator, from the EI dry ferts kits I purchased from Green Leaf Aquarium (I figured it was a good way to learn), my dosing will yield the following:

KH2PO4:
    PO4 1.3 ppm
    P .42 ppm
    K .54 ppm

KNO3:
    K 4.73 ppm
    N 1.69 ppm

K2SO4:
    K 7.5 ppm (?!?)
    S 3.08 ppm

This means that totaled together, I will be at 12.77 ppm of K- is that right? Am I supposed to be taking into account how each compound adds more K?

Just when I thought I was figuring it out, now I am really confused again.

5. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That's a pretty heavy dose of phosphates along with a heavy dose of potassium. You would do well to reduce those and get some magnesium and calcium in the mix along with some micro nutrients.

geektom likes this.
  6. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks, Julia- I am dosing micros on T/Th/Sat using Green Leaf Aquatic's "CSM+B" formula.

Seeing as I am using the calculator everyone recommends, how should I determine how much to reduce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk