CPR Overflow and Aqualifter Pump Operational video

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Here is a video where I discuss/demo the following:

1. Basic operation and usage of the Tom's aqualifter pump in conjunction with a CPR model overflow.
2. Usage of an inline filter for the aqualifter pump.
3. Maintenance discussion.
4. Test - disconnect aqualifter pump while tank is running.
5. Introduction and result of adding air to the system :)
6. Restart of the siphon

I am sure I babble on way too much, but overall I think/hope it will be helpful. All I can say is I wish I had something like this when I first used this configuration :)

Take care.

Mods, please sticky this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

kevinmichael77

Guru Class Expert
Oct 5, 2012
Wisconsin
Thanks for the video Gerry! Very informative as always. I noticed in one of your other videos the screen you had over the intake of your overflow, must be to prevent fish from being sucked in. Where did you purchase that? I can't seem to find anything directly from CPR.

Thanks

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
more thanks for posting this vid too. very helpful. I feel more confident moving towards these types of filtration systems.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
kevinmichael77;127090 said:
Thanks for the video Gerry! Very informative as always. I noticed in one of your other videos the screen you had over the intake of your overflow, must be to prevent fish from being sucked in. Where did you purchase that? I can't seem to find anything directly from CPR.

Thanks

Hi nd thanks,

The screen was a gift from member gsjmia iirc. Not purchased from CPR...

- - - Updated - - -

kevinmichael77;127090 said:

Thanks

Hi nd thanks,

The screen was a gift from member gsjmia iirc. Not purchased from CPR...

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
ShadowMac;127092 said:
more thanks for posting this vid too. very helpful. I feel more confident moving towards these types of filtration systems.

Hi and thanks,

Glad to hear they may help. Whole idea was to make it easier for fols new to wet/dry and sumps.

- - - Updated - - -

ShadowMac;127092 said:

Hi and thanks,

Glad to hear they may help. Whole idea was to make it easier for fols new to wet/dry and sumps.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

I just wanted to reinforce a few points made in the video:

1. Replace your airline tubing to/from the aqualifter pump regularly!!!!!!!!!! Any one of the 3 sections can become clogged with dirt over time. Especially after tank maintenance when much dirt is created. Plant material and the like can also enter the system.

There are 3 lines. One from the CPR overflow box (via the siphon nipple) TO the inline filter. The 2nd is FROM the inline filter TO the aqualifter pump. The 3rd if FROM the aqualifter pump TO the tank/sump/or overflow.

2. Regularly use a paper clip (or similar) and clean out the siphon nipple on the CPR overflow box!!!! This also gets clogged with dirt/detritus and needs to be cleaned. I regularly blow air the other way to assist with this. My 220 consistently gets strands of hair grass in here and with the small diameter, any block is an issue.

This NEEDS to be kept clean.

Signs to watch for:

1. You should see water/air flowing from/to the aqualifter pump at all times when in operation! Any one of the 3 lines can get clogged and impact the operation. I have had this occur many times, including just now :)

2. Check the TANK side of the overflow box. If this is NOT flowing as normal this is an issue. You will see the water level on the tank side of the overflow is HIGHER than normal. You will see less overall skimming and your water surface closer to the cpr will not be as clean.

3. Watch for this ESPECIALLY after any maintenance where detritus is stirred up (water changes) or after any trim or substrate disturbance.

That is about it. I do this with EVERY WEEKLY WATER/CHANGE and also check whenever I look at or pass the tank. It is a good habit to develop.

I use 3 of these setups and like them very well. But you NEED to maintain them properly or the operation will suffer.

I have now used the oldest setup (on my 220) for >2 years now and have not had any failures of the CPR itself. All of the problems with the siphon have been related to clogged tubing or the siphon hole itself.

Okay, later!

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
Very good info for someone using a CPR overflow. I will add that I have had an aqua lifter pump go out with out any ill effects as it held the siphon just fine till I got home from work.
Gerry what do you use to clean the u tube on the over flow? I use a bottle brush to clean most of the overflow but the u tube is a pain.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
ltb420;127742 said:
Very good info for someone using a CPR overflow.

Well, that was the point of the video, to demonstrate the CPR configuration :)

ltb420;127742 said:
I will add that I have had an aqua lifter pump go out with out any ill effects as it held the siphon just fine till I got home from work.

Yes, I demonstrate that in the video and glad you called that out again. I DO have spare pumps, but it is the tubing and siphon hole that clogs and causes issues for the most part.

ltb420;127742 said:
Gerry what do you use to clean the u tube on the over flow? I use a bottle brush to clean most of the overflow but the u tube is a pain.

Well, with a CPR there IS no U tube???? That said, when I DID use this type of overflow, I used a bottle brush or those they sell at the LFS to clean filter tubes and the like. An excel bath will also help clean it.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

ltb420;127742 said:
Very good info for someone using a CPR overflow.

Well, that was the point of the video, to demonstrate the CPR configuration :)

ltb420;127742 said:
I will add that I have had an aqua lifter pump go out with out any ill effects as it held the siphon just fine till I got home from work.

Yes, I demonstrate that in the video and glad you called that out again. I DO have spare pumps, but it is the tubing and siphon hole that clogs and causes issues for the most part.

ltb420;127742 said:

Well, with a CPR there IS no U tube???? That said, when I DID use this type of overflow, I used a bottle brush or those they sell at the LFS to clean filter tubes and the like. An excel bath will also help clean it.

Thanks

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
Gerryd;127749 said:

Thanks

Thanks Gerry,

You are right it's more of a u channel. My LFS carries the marina brand spring brushes but they are a bit on the flimsier side and don't do such a great job. I will have to try the excel bath before scrubbing next time.

superflame

Prolific Poster
May 10, 2011
Can the CPR be hook to the canister inlet instead of using sump pump? My major issue right now is having a bunches of slim in the surface of the tank. Thinking about getting the CPR and hook it to my existing Ehem Pro 3 series as a inlet to get rid of the slim. I try installing the K. Nano 425 and point it to the top and it does not help, but I think it wasted my co2.

Any thoughts?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Why not use the eheim surface skimmer? I think Tom's aquatics also makes one. They work well on surface scum. You cannot use a CPR with a canister so far as I know. I guess you could, but I have never tried it.

superflame

Prolific Poster
May 10, 2011
Gerryd;128062 said:
Why not use the eheim surface skimmer? I think Tom's aquatics also makes one. They work well on surface scum. You cannot use a CPR with a canister so far as I know. I guess you could, but I have never tried it.

I like the look of the CPR. Eheim Surface skimmer is too much of a noticable and Tom's aquatics, I have one somewhere in the storage. I'll give that a shot. I think I try it before and my concern was that it had suck the baby shrimps into the skimmer.

I think I read an article somewhere a person modified Tom's aquatics skimmer to avoid shrimplets to be siphon into the skimmer. Thanks for the advice.

A

aquarist

Hopefully this post will be approved while it is still relevant.

Great and informative post!! I have been thinking of using the Toms aqua lifter pump as a dosing pump but read they always break down, thanks for sharing your experience with them!