This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Counting bubbles per second

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by barbarossa4122, Mar 17, 2011.

1. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    5:18 PM
    Hi,

How can I count more than 3 bps say, 4 or 5 ? I tried 5 seconds time frame and 10 seconds time frame and it's impossible. I noticed on other forums ppl claiming that they use 4, 5, 6 even 8 bps. How the heck do they know since imo, it's impossible to count ?

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would say they are guessing unless using video and the pause and slow motion functions :)

3. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    I was advised to use a metronome and I think it will work. Will find out tomorrow morning.

Great idea with a vid camera but, don't own one.

4. Gbark

Gbark Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    i waste a lot of co2 and have my bubble rate high, infact i could not tell you what it is as its so fast. :)

5. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm having trouble understanding why you would need to count that high. What is your tank size and diffusion method?

If you really need some way to increase the rate without counting bubbles perhaps you'd be interested in my latest project. A linear increase in CO2 output from 0.1pps to 5pps with a 270* turn of a knob. See the bottom of my last blog post for some details.

Jim

#5 Jim Miller, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  6. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    Hi Jim,

The tank is a standard 55g. Right now I am using a 60mm GLA atomic diffuser at 3bps. I am just curious about this since some folks claim they use 5 or 6 bps. I am sure they are not lying but, how do they count with the naked eye.

#6 barbarossa4122, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  7. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Would timing how long it takes for the CO2 to fill up a specific volume be useful? This is another way to calculate the rate. Here is an idea.

I thought about using a small coffee tin with its removable plastic lid and a balloon. I have a 13oz coffee tin. I can use water and a graduated cylinder to find its volume. I would need to make a small hole in the lid for the CO2 tubing and the balloon goes inside the tin.

Push the tubing through the hole in the lid and secure the balloon onto the end of the tubing. Put the lid on the coffee tin with the balloon inside. Turn the CO2 on while timing it. The balloon will fill up with CO2, but it can't get any larger than the volume of the coffee tin. When the CO2 stops going in, note the elapsed time. You will know that the CO2 has stopped when there are no more bubbles going through the bubble counter. You can calculate the milliliters per minute or per second or whatever way that I want to express it.

What do you think? Something smaller than the 13oz tin may be better.

8. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I can count up to 7bps, i guess guitar playing and practicing with the metronome for years makes it easier

9. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    PV=nRT. How will you measure "P"?

Jim

10. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Good question.

The regulator has a pressure gauge. Let's say that it is set on 10 psi. When the pressure equalizes with the balloon in the coffee tin, the CO2 stops flowing. The pressure in the balloon would be 10 psi too. We would have the volume and the time that it took to equalize (stop flowing). This would give us mL/sec or whatever units of measurement that we want to use. In other words, the pressure is redundant. Whatever pressure that we have the regulator set at, the balloon would have this same pressure when it equalizes and stops flowing. (Unless it is set very high and it blows up the balloon and the coffee tin.)

We can check it by putting a "T" in the CO2 tubing with a fitting to measure the pressure with a tire pressure gauge or something similar.

The "Ideal Gas Law" is a good approximation of a gas that behaves as an ideal gas under many conditions. My suggestion is a good approximation of the CO2 rate.

#10 Left C, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
  11. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Lack of coffee prior to posting...

Looks like a good strategy. Give it a go!

Jim

12. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Left C, are you sure you didn't do anything more than coffee? Nicotine, when I smoked, helped me with creative thought, but this is very interesting! ;)

13. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just two cups of coffee and no nicotine. It's just an idea that popped up. It sounds rudimentary or like something made in Frankenstein's basement. I was thinking of something cheap and easy to try.

14. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    wouldn't it be a hoot if it turned out the amount of co2 was conveniently measured in

micromoles!!!

jim (per unit time of course...)

15. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time: