This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

correct target levels of each of the Nutrients micro & macro (ppm) for any planted t

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by joyban, Apr 16, 2008.

1. joyban

joyban Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:00 AM
    Hi Tom

I know it may have been discussed before ...

but what are the correct target levels of each of the Nutrients micro & macro (ppm) for any planted tank...

may be we should have it like a sticky for a quick reference.

Thanks for your help

Sujoy

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    2:00 AM
    I do not know what the target levels are.

I do know the range for a CO2 enriched tank, but it's heavily dependent on the person's routine and the frequency at which they dose.

For example:
    I can dose 2x a week high, or dose 14x a week, 2x a day and maintain lower ranges etc.

For non CO2, it's tougher to know and to measure, but growth is slow also.

For sediment rich systems, the levels can be the same, but they can also be much lower, even absent as far as any cheapo hobby test kit is concerned(provided it's calibrated as well).

Sorry, no simple answer.
    The goal and the methods used are not just plain sand and CO2 with a known amount of light. And as you increase light/CO2, demand and the levels change.

EI is geared to hit an upper target, then you reduce down from there slowly using the plants and focusing carefully on CO2. When you see a negative plant response, you go back to previous dosing routine.

Rather than a ppm target, this is a tank plant defined rate of dosing.

Regards,
    Tom Barr