This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

correct 4dkh receipie?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by nicklfire, Jul 3, 2007.

1. nicklfire

nicklfire Subscriber

I've looked far and wide and swear i'v found about 7 different cooking methods for the 4dkh solution. Can someone who knows for sure be so kind to share the knowledge with me of the correction method to create 4dkh :)

Thanks so much

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The best way to make a 4 dKH standard solution is to start with a known certified standard KH solution. You can buy such solutions from chemistry supply places. The dilute it with distilled or DI water to get the 4 dKH you want. I think the formula for how much distilled water to add is:
    volume of distilled water/ volume of known dKH water = (4 + known dKH)/ 4

3. nicklfire

nicklfire Subscriber

so if i were to purcahse the known certified standard KH solution and to get it to the 4dkh i would mix 1 cup of the certified standard KH solution with 4 cups of RO water?

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

No, read that formula again: the ratio of the volume of distilled water to volume of known KH standard water is equal to 4 plus the dKH of the KH standard water divided by 4. So, if the certified KH water was 26 dKH, the ratio would be 26+4 divided by 4, or 7.5. That would mean 7.5 cups of distilled water and one cup of 26 dKH water.