This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Coralline Algae lighting

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by feh, Feb 3, 2012.

1. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    2:17 PM
    Whats considered too much light for coralline algae?

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    What Little I Know...

Hi,

This is not something I have a lot of experience with, but this is my experience and what I think I know.

I understand that it rather depends on the species, generally though that it does well in low to moderate light, preferring the blue end of the spectrum. That high Calcium and low phosphates are important.

In my FOWLR Coralline algae grows abundantly and colorfully in rather low light. I didn’t choose the Coralline algae it came in, I assume on the live rock. So for all I know if I had high light maybe another type would grow.

Biollante

3. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Water parameters are fine. As for N03 and PO4 - probably a little too clean. I have it growing on my rock, but was wondering if it needed more or less light. I did some research on it and read pretty much the same as you're saying. Spose I won't blast it with 6 T5HOs to keep it growing. So far I've been fortunate with its grow and its only on my rocks, but I do keep my overflow / glass regularly. I personally don't like the look of the back glass and overflow covered in it. I purposely "infected" my rock with with it using some rubble. Same rubble I used to seed it with bacteria. Thanks for the feedback though. I just wanted to maintain the growth and keep it growing until I start tossing in other stuff that will require more light.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Coralline algae is easy if you add moderate to high light,. I'd say the range is massive....but need the Alk and Ca++ high and the PO4 low.

Wait and you shall have more than you want.

5. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    PO4 still reads 0.00 / 0.01 with practically no other algae in the tank. Alk is 136, Ca 430, Mg 1487. What I've noticed though is all the light its been getting is either from testing water parms with lights on or cleaning glass and so on. Beyond that it is a bright room during the day and seems to be growing fairly well on one side of the tank. The other side not so well. The side that is growing faster is closer to the windows but its not exactly direct light.