This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Copper

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by PatrikS, Apr 23, 2007.

1. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Hi Tom and folks!

I was wondering if the copper (Cu) in TMG (now Plant Nutrition) could be an issue in marine tanks? Is it toxic in those ammounts that is in TMG? On my bottle it says Cu 0.006% and Fe 0,07 (W/W%).

Do macroalgae need Cu - as do freshwater plants - or not?

Or do macros just need iron (Fe) and I would be better off with Flourish Iron (even with it being worse chelated)?

I have a 30 liters tank and dose about 1 ml of TMG twice a week. So the next question is - do I get enough Fe with such dose without overdosing Cu, or should I dose more and not worry about coppers toxicity?

My tank inhabitants are a lot of macroalgae, some mushrooms, a single LPS-coral (Lobophyton), one turbo snail and two small ocelaris. Light about 1 w/liter.

2. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Nobody has an idea?

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

I doubt these levels are problematic.
    They are pretty low.
    You can use a copper test and see for yourself.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Allright, I see, thank You Tom, but do macroalgae need copper (for example for fotosynthesis)?

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Yes!!

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Danke, Tom! One can say that macros can "purify" water from heavy metals, right?(which could be a good thing for other sessile invertebrates)

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Well, healthy actively growing one can and do, they also release metals if they decay..........

Inverts are very sensitive to metals.

Regards,
    Tom Barr