cool water setup...

robinnight

Junior Poster
Feb 4, 2009
I have to setup a tank (20G long) tomorrow for two goldfish. I use ada as in my other tanks but because this one has to be set up on short notice (crack in tank :eek: ) I only have the option of using eco-complete or flourite (red/brown kind). Which would be best? Should I add anything to the substrate with those two? I'm going to plant cool water plants. With the goldfish would it be possible to do the low light, no CO2, and no water change method? I have my concerns about the bio-lode that those two will create.

Thanks,
Candice

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Candice,

I would use whichever substrate makes less of a cloud when disturbed, as they will browse the substrate and disturb it.

I would NOT go the no water change route unless you have a really oversized filter..........they are huge producers of waste products.........regular water changes will help a lot with overall health and water quality............

Also they are likely to destroy eat any plants you have in there so keep this in mind........

Try some java fern or anubias as they have tough leaves the fish won't like and do well in low light setups. However the do need 72 temp min......

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Hi,

I think Gerryd's thoughts on plants are good.

Those plants do not need a substrate; they get nutrients from the water column. Consider using no substrate at all. Cleaning will be a lot easier.

Bill