This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Converting standard to rimless.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by SylvesterGraham, Apr 23, 2012.

1. SylvesterGraham

SylvesterGraham Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:38 PM
    Hello,

I've recently come across a 90 gallon Craigslist tank. I'll be getting it either way, but, unfortunately, it isn't rimless and what's worse the frame is covered in that plastic faux wood veneer.

Has anyone ever tried to remove the framing on a standard tank, leaving only the glass behind. I'm sure someone has, but my searches came up empty. I imagine a little extra silicone and bracing would be I order... But what do I know.

Sylvester

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I've heard of it being done on a 10 gallon...maybe even 20 gallon, but I wouldn't suggest it for a tank that size. The frame holds the tank together and the seems would likely give out, even with some added bracing.

I wouldn't do it.

3. SylvesterGraham

Local Time:
    OK, that makes sense.

But the glass is still there, and at least part of it is held together by silicone. Why not just strip the frame and silicone and "start over" with the pre-sized panes of glass?

I am no structural engineer, but I'm no hack, either. I understand a higher water column is what creates pressure, instead of just volume. If I were to do this I would build a jig for assembly, buff and polish the glass ends to avoid micro cracks... etc. I have built a 15 gallon from scratch as well.

Thanks

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think the rimless tanks use a higher grade silicone to hold them together. The larger ADA tanks still bow a little bit. I can't provide any advice on assembling such a thing. I bet you could find some tank build threads for the type of thing you are looking for on some of the reef forums. A lot of guys building things over there. I'm sure someone around here has done something, but I haven't seen any build threads that started with 4 glass panes.

5. SylvesterGraham

Local Time:
    Thats a good idea about the tank build threads.

If there's considerable danger doing this, even if it's done in the best way possible without industrial equipment, I'll probably just suffer the molding. A tank failure is so catastrophic...