This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Converting Griggs Reactor To Venturi

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by DirtDawg57, Apr 14, 2019 at 6:50 PM.

1. DirtDawg57

DirtDawg57 New Member

Local Time:
    7:12 AM
    Hello,
    I have a 4" Griggs style co2 reactor with about two Sunsun 304b canister filters attached to it putting out around 1000gph. It works well but wanted to improve the efficiency by finding a way to chop the bubbles up with an external pump. I though I was inventing something until I found online that Tom Barr has done it already!

I wanted to see if I could get some advice on how to set it up. I have a cone shaped coupler at the top of the reactor so there really isn't a gas bubble that builds up. I was thinking of just having a intake hose draw water somewhere near the top to grab some of the larger bubbles, then travel through the pump to chew up the bubbles, and then inject back into the reactor, hopefully at an angle so it turns the reactor into a cyclone to help it mix better.

My biggest question is where I should put the intake and output hose. Should the intake be towards the top so it sucks in the larger co2 bubbles? My concern was if this would make the pump super noisy with the bubbles going through the blades. It won't be submerged because I don't have a sump, so it will be inline.

The other option I though was to put the intake at the bottom whwre there won't be many bubbles, and put the output at the top to better pulverize the bubbles. So they would be getting hit with the water coming from the tank and the pump.

Anyone have any advice?

2. DirtDawg57

DirtDawg57 New Member

Local Time:
    7:12 AM
    This is my setup, and a poor drawing of what I was thinking of doing. Where should the I have the pump intake and output in the reactor? Thank you!

20190222_174559.jpg

20190414_174433.jpg

#2 DirtDawg57, Apr 14, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:54 AM
Tags: