This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Converting from High to Low Light

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by VaughnH, Jan 30, 2007.

1. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

My aquarium is a 45 gallon tank with 110 watts of AH Supply lighting. It has pressurized CO2, with a Barr Internal Venturi reactor, continuous water change system, and is dosed by the EI method. I also have a 2.5 gallon nano tank, with a 27 watt PC desk lamp over it, and Excel in place of CO2. Both tanks use Soilmaster for a substrate, and both have blyxa Japonica plus other plants. The nano tank requires almost no maintenance, other than water changes and top off water. It has been virtually algae free from the beginning, about 2 months ago. I want my 45 gallon tank to be so kind to me!

If I replace the 55 watt AHS bulbs with 36 watt bulbs, will that work electrically? And, if I do that, what other changes should I make to convert this tank to a lower maintenance tank? I prefer to keep using pressurized CO2, and using EI fertilizing, but at a reduced rate.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Raise the light up, switch bulbs, add plastic diffuser lens that blocks most of the light/some of the light etc.

All will work.
    55 to a 36 watt ought to be fine.

Regards,
    Tom Barr