Controllers? Apex, ReefKeeper, Other?

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Out of curiosity who is using controllers?

Which one, what options?

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
Apex has everything you need and very flexible. Fusion is a good app for your phone, it becomes a remote control for all your pumps, Co2, dosing pumps, dimm lights, and variable speed Vortech (assuming you have those features in those things, the Apex can control it). Apex also has a huge user based forum where you can ask questions and get good answers.

I used my apex with 3 float switches, a sump-drain pump, carbon block and a solenoid to create an auto water change system, changes 20% a day just before the Co2 comes on, eliminated most algae.

Last edited by a moderator:

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
I have a full apex with 2 eb 8's, and a break out box. If you are going to get one I would go with apex over a reefkeeper. The apex has more features out of the box and way better customer service. I have owned the reefkeeper lite before, great if you are looking to control heater and timmer for light but don't expect any customer service out of them, and no logging of parms. Your other opition is reef angel open source code and similar to apex if you are good with writing code.

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
I have a full apex with 2 eb 8's and break out box. Had 3 reefkeeper lites and sold them. If you want to control heater and lights it a great choice but don't expect customer service from them or get logging capabilities.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Thanks for the input. Seems like Apex or Reef Angel are the top contenders. Some of the RA stuff looked pretty nice. Too bad there's no way to mix and match components.