Constant bps

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hi,

I have a q about bps:
My co2 is on a timer for 8 hrs on a timer at 3bps. I the morning when it starts again I only get about 2-2.5 bps and I have to adjust the Fabco nv55. I think something must be wrong b/c I was under the impresion that you do not have to adjust the nv every day. After I adjust the nv to 3 bps it stays like this through out the entire 8 hrs co2 cycle. I appreciate any input/advice on this.

Edit:
This is a dual manifold set up and the same thing happens with both Fabco nv 55.

Last edited by a moderator:

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
I guess the system pressure is too low. (not the bottle pressure) Turn it up to 7 to 10 psi, that should do it.

regards,
dutchy

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hi Dutchy,

I have it at 20 psi which is the max it goes. I did get advice to set the working pressure again but, this time with the solenoid unplugged also to tighten the set allen screw on the Fabco a little more.
Did this, did a few tests and it looks like it's working fine for now. Darn co2:)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Reinforcements to the Front

Hi barbarossa41(6?)22,

While it could be the needle valve, another candidate is the tubing, especially at higher pressures. :)

Consider “pressure rated” or reinforced tubing. :gw

I have seen that much of the wonky CO2 stuff goes away with pressure rated tubing. I have been told by a beverage company type, runs greater than 2 feet (61 cm) should be reinforce even at low pressure.

Biollante

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hi Bio,

Thanks for helping in the co2 war effort:)

I use co2 resistant tubbing. Is there better one that you know of ? If yes, where can one buy it from ?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Where For Art Thou LeftC?

Hi barbarossa41(6?)22,

I cannot find my tubing link. :eek:

I got the reinforced tubing through US Plastics :), LeftC usually ninja’s me before I can answer these questions. :eek:

Biollante

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
anything downwind of the needle valve will/can alter bubble rate. A check valve, for instance, can affect bubble rate depending on the craking pressure.

Leaks can alter bubble rate, too.

tubing is, as mentioned, is also a culprit.

The big one is the diffuser, too.

All are related to back pressure and the depth of the diffuser in the tank.

rockhoe14er

Prolific Poster
Nov 2, 2010
Colorado
i am having this same problem with my victor regulator and fabco needle valve. I have to keep adjusting it when it turns on again the next day. I can't figure out why either.

Jim Miller

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I suspect this could be caused by a worn or dirty seat in the regulator. The regulators we typically get on Ebay are second hand...for reasons unknown.

We don't refurbish and test them we just change the external fittings.

Jim

rockhoe14er

Prolific Poster
Nov 2, 2010
Colorado
my regulator was just rebuilt so it should be in perfect working order. I did however add on another check valve to prevent back flow because my first one was a cheep petco one. so i'm not sure if this is the culprit.

hbosman

Guru Class Expert
Oct 22, 2008
Leesburg VA USA
double and triple check for leaks. I had the same symptom using a Victor and inline NV-55. I would adjust it and the next morning when the solenoid kicked on, the bubble rate was much lower until I readjusted the NV. It turned out to be a loose hose barb on the NV-55. It's been rocksteady over since. I never have to touch the needlevalve, even after swapping gas cylinders. I adjust the working pressure back up to 22 psi and everything is good to go. I do use clippard CO2 tubing that I bought from GLA.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
rockhoe14er;61082 said:
i am having this same problem with my victor regulator and fabco needle valve. I have to keep adjusting it when it turns on again the next day. I can't figure out why either.

Hi,

I found out why, yesterday...........I had a leak coming from one of the gauges. I tided them both up real good now. Than was the only place I did not look for leaks and I did look about 10 times. You must have a leak b/c mine is working perfect right now. Oh, yeah, GLA tubbing is very good.

rockhoe14er

Prolific Poster
Nov 2, 2010
Colorado
this morning i did unscrew the barbs on my inline nv-55 so when i get home today i'll see if that worked. I guess i'll try some of the bubble test.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
rockhoe14er;61098 said:
so Bararossa,

After you fixed your leaky gauge did your bps stay consistent?

Oh, yes. Lol, after I lost almost half if my 10lb cylinder. It's OK, I have a full 5lber standing by. Co2 is cheap here, I just don't like the 20 min drive to get there. I hate NYC traffic and everybody is in a constant hurry. Bunch of maniacs, lol.