Confused about GW

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005
I know a uv filter or diatom filter will work but I am curious as to why ponds/lakes clear up but not aquariums? Adult greenwater uses the same nutrients as plants but what is different in the wild vs aquariums that make it so hard to treat? There must be another way to fight gw without uv or diatom filters. Anyone????

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Confused about GW

Temp, nutrient issues, other herbivores(daphnia etc), there are many variables that we cannot do as easily.

If you plant lots of Rye around the pond, it'll lso not get algae(mats or GW).

Regards,
Tom Barr

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

The green water in some bodies of water really never clear up. You can see this in farm ponds that get a lot of NO3 and PO4. Some larger lakes get greenish in the summer, but that seems to go away as the season progresses.

Green water in aquaria will also go away by itself, eventually, when it runs short of food. I once accidentally overdosed Flourish by a factor of 10. Mild green water appeared the next day and lasted for about 2 weeks, then went away to stay. (That was also in a newly set up tank, and that could have also been the cause of green water, but I doubt it.)

Bill

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

i had the first gw in three years in a tank a month ago. don't own a sterilizer,so i have to resort to ACCU-CLEAR from ap.hooked up h.o.t magnum with paper filter and two doses it finally dissapeared.just changing water several times w/o use of this product did not do it. very stubborn.allso had to sterilize canister filter on tank,then used seachem stabilizer.all is well now.pleco's can see me again .regards,cornhusker :) :)