This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Concerned about redoing tank

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by remy56, Apr 13, 2008.

1. remy56

remy56 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:58 PM
    Hi,

I have been doing a lot of reading including Greg Watson's dosing guide. I want to redo my aquarium but I'm afraid to take the next step. Please help.

I've had 2 local aquarium professionals give me advice since I was getting overwhelmed trying to establish my 55 gal tank myself. I made all the usual mistakes anyway - too much light, no added carbon source, no ferts, and I ,of course, ended up with ~55 gallons of lovely green water. I was told to use Velvet Guard and a micron filter, which did succeed in getting rid of the GW and, I believe, most of my plants. I was told it was probably not the VG but a combination of factors. Maybe so.

I need to start over and could use the experience, wisdom and advice of the people on this forum to help me learn and decide what to do next.

Here is a list of how the tank was set-up originally:

1. Eheim 2213 filter

2. 2 light strips that accommodate 4 40-watt T12 Coralife bulbs:
    2 Day Max - 6000K
    1 Nutrigro - 6700K
    1 Actinic
    (I stopped using the actinic after the first week)
    3. 12 hour photo period

4. Pea gravel with laterite mixed into the bottom layer.

5. 5 Congo tetras, 13 inch long Hengel's rasboras, and 3 small Danios.

6. I wasn't even sure of all of the plant names, but I soon found out that Green
    Hedge is not an aquatic. There were lots of stem plants, vals, micro sword, etc.
    that didn't make it. A banana plant, 3 moss balls, some small crypts did.

When the GW started we shortened the photo period to 6 hrs/day with only one
    bulb.When it was resolved I used GAC to remove the Velvet Guard and changed
    20% of the water every 4 days X3. There was a small amount of algae forming on
    the glass but other than that everything looked pretty sterile. Then the water started to look slightly cloudy so it was suggested that I do no more WCs.

Also, just after the water cleared and 1 week before the plants started dying I was given SeaChem's trace, iron, phosphorus, and potassium to dose with per bottle instructions - no nitrogen. Out of the tap the pH is 7.4, KH and GH just need 1 drop to change color. The GH is 6 in the tank because we wanted to raise the KH but incorrectly used a SeaChem product that was meant to raise the GH. A rock meant for a marine tank was suggested to raise the KH but the value is only up 1 degree.

I have now had new plants floating in the tank since Friday waiting for me to get the nerve to remove the gravel and start over. I have 3 bags of new black flourite for the front of the tank and an almost full 5-gallon bucket of reclaimed (used) red flourite for the back (it looks like it's mixed with black). How much do I need?

My plan was to take the fish out and redo everything all at once, but, I'm afraid to kill all of them by starting a new cycle.

I want to use Excel and ferts and keep low light plants. Actually, I should have lots more plants but won't be able to do anything about that right away unless I order online.

Suggestions would be very welcomed. Thanks!

2. remy56

remy56 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi,

I've decided just to go for it and do it all at once. So, I need to find a source for leonardite, which I will research later today. The most important question right now is, what is the best place to order plants online - would that be Fosters and Smith?

I'll be able to get through the rest myself, I think, just need advice on purchasing plants. Thanks so much.

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

You may want to swap in 1/2 sections per week, to lessen the stress overall. Check out this thread from Tom. It may help.

http://www.barrreport.com/general-plant-topics/3786-redone-350-gallon-tank-another-gravel-swap.html?highlight=cloudy

Arizona Aquatic Gardens (AAG) has worked well for me buying/shipping plants.

Aquarium Plants, Pond Plants, Freshwater Aquarium Plant & Aquarium Accessories – Arizona Aquatic Gardens

or

Aquarium Plants.com

AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community.

or

Aqua Botanic

Aqua Botanic Aquarium Plants Sales and Library

I have used the first two. Not yet Aqua Botanic.

I have purchased fish from Foster's and Smith but not plants............Quality was okay.....

Best of luck.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I think you might also consider TPT swap and trade mart.
    They sell a fair amount of plants and plants from hobbyists tend to be the best quality.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. stacir

stacir Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am looking for plants also. What's TPT Swap and Trade?

6. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The Planted Tank Forum, but you have to sign up as a member of that website to see or use this feature. It doesn't cost anything to do so.