This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Compressed air and CO2

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by stcyrwm@adelphia.net, Sep 22, 2005.

1. stcyrwm@adelphia.net

stcyrwm@adelphia.net Prolific Poster

Tom's "New CO2 revelations", led to a discussion (on another board) about using air which is .03% CO2 to get CO2 to plants. Shalu has been doing this with an air pump fed into a HOB. Tom suggested and I want to try using compressed air fed into a ceramic diffuser or something else to create microbubbles that would then be dispersed by a powerhead, the same as he's doing with CO2.

I'm going to start putting this together tomorrow and would like to hear any feedback. I have a compressor and a tank so that parts easy. Pressure would be low enough that regulating pressure should be easy but I'll have to research that a little bit. Then it's a matter of creating the microbubbles to disperse. I doubt anyone has a ceramic diffusor locally but I'll check. Another idea is a Duetto with aerator.

Open to ideas and suggestions........

Bill

2. fishface

fishface Guest

Re: Compressed air and CO2

i think you must have misunderstood something somewhere...air is roughly 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen with small amounts of trace gasses. ;)

3. Rafael

Rafael Junior Poster

4. stcyrwm@adelphia.net

Sorry, it should have been .033%............ I corrected message above

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

See Fick's 1st law of diffusion for more on the mechanisms as to why this works.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. stcyrwm@adelphia.net

Is there a risk of fish getting "gas bubble disease" with injecting a mist of air into a tank? A couple guys have raised this issue on the APC forum but I haven't really found anything definetive in searching around the internet.

Thanks, Bill