This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Color Change Of Submerged Versus Emerged Growth

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by tiger15, Mar 10, 2018.

1. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    9:52 PM
    I have observed some drastic color change in plants I acquired from nursery grown potted plants. I believe they are all emerged grown. Within a couple weeks my Crytocoryne parva have turned from bright green to rusty brown, and the same color change is occuring in my Echinodorus Kleiner Prince planted last week. The color change occur not only on old leaves, but also on new growth. The opposite occurred in my Rotala rotundifolia that changed from pinkish to bright green over several weeks mainly in new growth.

Is it normal or indication of lack of light or nutrient deficiencies. They look healthy with no algae, just grow very slowly. I have medium light, around 50 par at substrate and co2.

InkedCrypt_LI.jpg

Inkedrotala_LI.jpg

#1 tiger15, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:52 AM
    It is hard to say from the photos. What I see is submersed growth. You indeed get color change in emersed or submersed variants of the plants, in addition to morphological changes. However, the new growth will be adapted to your aquarium conditions. The plants in the photos can get red/brown if conditions are suitable. Light, nutrients, temperature all play a role. Also worth mentioning, many plants get red when they are experiencing "stress", so not at optimal conditions for growth.

3. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The crypt appears to big to be "parva", possibly another variety.
    The way crypts behave and having no melting yet, most likely good to go on that one.

R.rotundifolio does not appreciate shade, keep it in an area well lit and open.
    Stunted growth will be miniature compared to normal.
    I am very good @ stunting this plant due to plant density within the tank.
    If stunted from light normal growth will resume shortly.

I guess my whole point is don't toss it, recovery is easy.

4. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    Yes, the C. parva looks different from the plant profile I read, so I wonder what I actually have. It looks like this when I bought it 6 months ago. There is a transformation from bright green to rusty brown, and the leaves have grown to 7 inch and the smooth leave edges turned wavy.

R.rotundifolio looks stunt too. It has dropped off a lot of leaves and regrown into shorter, more compact plant. The color has also changed from pinkish green to all green. I have recently moved it from the substrate level to top of the rockscape to get more light.

Now my Echinodorus "Kleiner Prince" is going through the transformation from bright green to rusty brown/maroon with 2 weeks.

No, I like them and won't toss them but the transformation makes the plants look different from what I bought into.

ID2.jpg

ID1.jpg

#4 tiger15, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. Kali

Kali New Member

Local Time:
    I bought a crytocoryne that resembles your "before" (emersed) grown plant and is now converting and starting to resemble your "after" (submerged) grown plant. Mine was labeled C. Lucens, if it was labeled correctly. I've been looking for pictures of submerged growth and haven't been too successful. What I have found while search are pictures labeled Crypt Willisii and Crypt Willissi "Lucens" that resemble your submerged growth. With a mention of a Crypt Willissi "Lucens" Bronze, that looked very much like your submerged growth.

6. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    Yes, you may be right it is not parva but willissi. I wasn’t sure what it was when I got it, guessing between parva or willissi but due to small leaf size, I assumed it was parva. But now that the leaves have elongated to 8”, it cant be parva. But the fact doesn’t change that it turned from light green to bronze and the leaf edges turned wavy.