This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

College General Biology research topic problem?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by wavidserez, May 15, 2011.

1. wavidserez

wavidserez Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:28 PM
    My class is 2nd semester of General biology which deal with evolution, animal and plant Form & Function and Ecology. My prof need us to write research paper related to this course. Yet, I don't have any idea what to write about?So, guys please help me out here!

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Ha, I taught this same class for the lab.

13 times.

You could write on the domestic dog, you could write about the Fruit fly.
    Good evolution topics.

Ecology, you could do a report on Ricketts and Leopold and the environmental movement in the USA, you could do a history of ecology(Plant or animal).
    You could write about the similar enzymes present in a wide diversity of organisms and relate this to evolution.

You could also do something on Form and function and evolution with comparative anatomy and co evolution eg, the squid's eye is similar to our eye, even though we are very different in terms of evolution.
    You could compare radial symmetry and bilateral symmetry in evolution and form and function.

You could discuss why each model organism was chosen: E coli, C elegans, Arabidopsis, the fruit fly, the rat, Chlamydomonas reinhardtii, Zebra fish, etc.........

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It appears you have gotten a response from the right man!

I think there is a great number of topics Mr. Barr presented there with a wide range subject matter. Looks like it depends upon what interests you more. The dog would be interesting due to social evolution and the influence man had in its development (dogs are one of the few animals that can follow what a "point with the finger" means and looks where you point not at your hand)

I do have another suggestion. Recently developmental evolution has been a bit of a buzz. Many scientists are looking into how the regulation of genes during fetal devlopment may be the most powerful mechanics evolution works through. This was somewhat spurred by the fact that after the human genome project was finished, ahead of schedule, it was found that people have far fewer genes than orignially suspected. There are many "simpler" organisms who have a multitude more functional genes than we do. So now they are looking into how those genes are regulated, turned on or off, concentrations, etc. during initial development differs between organisms with similar genetic makeups and how that correlates with and results in the fully developed animal.