This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Collected from Truckee River, Plant ID please....

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rich815, Oct 5, 2008.

1. rich815

rich815 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    9:11 AM
    I pulled a few of these last weekend right at the bank from where Lake Tahoe runs to the mouth of the Truckee River in Tahoe City. Resembles some kind of Myrio is my guess. Anyone know what it is?

2. AdlA

AdlA Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Looks like parrot feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum).

3. rich815

Local Time:
    At first I thought so too but it resembles a Parrot Feather grown emersed. These were submersed.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    It's likely Eurasian milfoil or much less likely M sibericum(native).

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. rich815

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom. It was growing in quite rapid water, near the shore in about 4-6" of water, stems about 12-15" long, all bent completely over to the bottom of the river by the river's strong current. Almost all the stems and leaves were dark brown or black with only the tips having any green and showing any evidence of life.

Based on internet searches, particularly this page: Eurasian watermilfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum) - A Noxious Aquatic Weed in Washington

it does seem like it's Eurasian Milfoil, a very invasive plant. I'll grow it on a bit to see what it looks like in the tank but unless it's really nice it will eventually just go into my compost pile.